Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very hot

Post Likes

Very hot

We just had our AC repaired, it had a leak, but while the technician was here he said our thermostat needed replacing. So my husband installed a new thermostat, but now the AC will not turn on at all. He tried to put the old one back up but now that will not even come on. He reinstalled the new one, and we could hear clicking noise that sounded like the AC trying to kick on, but then it stopped and no AC. Please help!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Laine View Post
    We just had our AC repaired, it had a leak, but while the technician was here he said our thermostat needed replacing. So my husband installed a new thermostat, but now the AC will not turn on at all. He tried to put the old one back up but now that will not even come on. He reinstalled the new one, and we could hear clicking noise that sounded like the AC trying to kick on, but then it stopped and no AC. Please help!!
    Why are you not calling the service company back? Or is your husband the tech? Just asking.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    We called them, but they will not come back till Monday. Someone was suppose to call back to help my husband troubleshoot but they never did. And it's extremely hot....

Post Likes
    They don't do after hours service? I would be calling a different company.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    They don't do after hours service? I would be calling a different company.

Post Likes
    Check the batteries! Call out the installing company
    Become a friend or fan on Facebook

Post Likes
    The heat we're having, we got to as many as we could before techs started dropping. If you called tonight, SOL. And if you declined our suggested repair and screwed it up DIYing, that doesn't help. But we're working tomorrow but maybe their contractor isn't or is already booked. If they are having weather like us, something that hasn't happened in decades, maybe they can't keep up any more than the air conditioners in there area.

Some DIY intended stats offer a toll free number to call for help. Probably a simple wiring error.

Post Likes
    Bald Loonie is correct - everyone in this region is swamped, and the guy did his best for you.
    Sometimes DIY just doesn't work out.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    If it's a programmable TH carefully read ALL the instructions, it may not be installed & programmed correctly...

Post Likes
    Nah they put the old one back on and still nothing.

Yep I believe you will require a additional part now to restore your system.

Step one.....turn off power........walk to panel......see breaker labeled ac.......off.......done.....lol

Post Likes
    Did you check the breaker to the A/C. If it sounds like it is trying to start it may have been short cycled wile installing the stat which is why it sounds like it is trying to start, you hear the contactor humming.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Thats awful DIY dude.

Homeowner, check the breakers. Call the termostat manufacturer. Ask them for help.

Did the person replacing the termostat turn off the power before working on it?
    If not, your gonna be waiting.
    If he wired it wrong, and turn on the power, you'll be waiting.

Never install a thermostat yourself.
    DIY channel lies.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    what uderal said
    take a picture of the wires connectted to the stat so we can see what you did

if you hear a clicking from the unit then there is a good chance the transformer is ok

check the breaker to the out side unit make sure it is on

also most stats have rc-rh-terminals and you may need a jumper from rc to rh to bring power to the cooling side of the stat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    [B]
    Never ever allow the outdoor condenser to run if the indoor blower is not running that will damage the compressor, especially with a piston orifice metering device, a TXV will try to shut the refrigerant flow down all it can.
    What if she is calling a Heatpump an AC (which most people call them when they are not cooling)????

No way would I give that advice.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Thats awful DIY dude.

Homeowner, check the breakers. Call the termostat manufacturer. Ask them for help.

Did the person replacing the thermostat turn off the power before working on it?
    If not, your gonna be waiting.
    If he wired it wrong, and turn on the power, you'll be waiting.

Never install a thermostat yourself.
    DIY channel lies.
    Well, I understand your concern, however, owners of central A/Cs buy thermostats & install them all the time as per the instructions.

As long as there is only one source of low voltage power coming from the TR &, no common from other side of TR so they can't cause a direct short they should not blow a TR unless, in a direct wire scenario they have all the low voltage relay coils wired together to come on all at one time, that could exceed especially a 30-VA or even a 40-VA TR amp rating.

If I interpreted your post correctly, I understand your concerns.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    What if she is calling a Heatpump an AC (which most people call them when they are not cooling)????

No way would I give that advice.
    I totally agree & should have stated that in my initial post.

IMO, Heat Pump control wiring circuity is too involved for anyone but a trained Tech to deal with.

Post Likes
    THe problem, is that if hte HO knew enough to fix the porblem now based on internet instruction sight unseen, then they likely wouldn't have had a problem in hte first place.

Note ot HO"s, don't install a new thermostat if you don;t understand electrical really well... and I'm not talking about matching up wire colors. and 2nd do not install new thermostats when its' really hot outside and all the local contractors are tied up on emergency calls.

Post Likes
    The company did not have a thermostat to install while there

Post Likes
    that is what I wondered about...
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    The company did not have a thermostat to install while there
    I've read this thread 3 times & nowhere did I read tech didn't have a stat on the truck.
    What tech shows up w/o a stat on truck? I have 8 on truck right now. That's not counting all the MV ones.
    I have 2 Honeywell 8000's, 2 6000's, 2 5000's & a couple of Robertshaws for the Honeywell haters.

Sounds more like tech came out, gave price for thermostat & HO decided to save money & DIY it himself. How hard could it be?

Now we are suppose to feel bad for OP because they can't come out until Monday?
    There's some real bad DIY advice going on in this thread. Owner follows your bad advice & shorts out transformer or board & now it's YOUR fault.
    Stop giving DIY advice!
    If you don't know enough to turn off power & labelling wires BEFORE replacing the thermostat- you need to call a pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in