Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Smell, bad headache...please help!

Post Likes

Terrible Smell, bad headache...please help!

My husband, daughter and I are currently staying with my parents while we renovate our house. My dad just had the upstairs furnace and A/C unit replaced today and there is a terrible smell coming through the ductwork. It is giving me a headache. The technician told me that it was perfectly safe and that it would dissipate in a little bit. He explained that it was just the motor oil that is in the unit from the factory just like a "new car smell". Well, I already have a headache and I was only upstairs for about 5 minutes collecting laundry. We just had two systems installed over at our house (the one being renovated) and both of them are up and running. We NEVER got any sort of smell from them. I do not believe this guy at all.

Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned. My daughter is only 10 months old and I don't want to bring her upstairs and expose her to this.

Post Likes
    New furnaces have a mineral oil coating on the heat exchanger. When you fire up the furnace for the first time, it will burn this off and dissipate.
    You may want to open a couple of windows for a few minutes if the smell bothers you that much.

Post Likes
    What does the odor smell like?

Are you running the furnace right now? Or the a/c?

If the odor is causing you headaches, something isn't right. Some people are more sensitive to volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and offgassing odors from new materials than others. If it's just the heat exchanger burning off the protective coating, you'll have to open some windows until the odor dissapates. The other concern is that if you're having headaches, and you're running the furnace, the furnace may not be venting properly. But...see if the odor dissapates after running the furnace awhile. If it does not, there may be an ongoing cause for it.

Post Likes
    DO NOT OPERATE YOUR HEATER!!!!
    If it's that bad it could be aldehyde you are smelling which means there is a problem with the unit/installation. Call the gas co. out to verify what you are smelling. Don't rely on what the installer is telling you. He may be correct but if you have ANY doubts it is better to get another opinion than to suffer the consequences, that could be very detrimental.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone...my dad is on his way home right now. I am not going to have him smell it. I could just be o verly sensitive but I don't want to take a chance wiith my daughter. VOC's are especially terrible for kids (as I am sure you guys know). I have all the windows open upstairs trying to vent it out but the unit is not running.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    New furnaces have a mineral oil coating on the heat exchanger. When you fire up the furnace for the first time, it will burn this off and dissipate.
    You may want to open a couple of windows for a few minutes if the smell bothers you that much.
    agree...theres nothing to worry about other than maybe some smoke detectors going off and the bad smell.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron G View Post
    agree...theres nothing to worry about other than maybe some smoke detectors going off and the bad smell.
    How can you be sure if you aren't there smelling or checking it? Haven't you ever been around a new install that wasn't properly vented? Not being critical but if she is getting a headache I wouldn't tell her there's NOTHING to worry about. IMHO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by woody19 View Post
    How can you be sure if you aren't there smelling or checking it? Haven't you ever been around a new install that wasn't properly vented? Not being critical but if she is getting a headache I wouldn't tell her there's NOTHING to worry about. IMHO

Agreed, she needs to get it checked out. There was an incindent in Michigan where some guys installed a furnace, temped it in until the morning. Only thing was they connected the intake vent and not the exhaust, when they returned in the morning the H/O was deceased.

Get it checked out.

Post Likes
    The burn off smell usually lasts just a very short time. Have it checked out.

Post Likes
    The machine oil burn off would have been well finished long before you finished writing that post. The longest one I've ever encountered was about 5 minutes...most only about 10-30 seconds. I'm wondering if maybe a venting problem or a refrigerant leak in the evap coil? Definitely have it checked out by someone else...not something to mess with.
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

Post Likes
    Might be just the burn off, could be something serious.

Better to have it checked out, then to be sorry later.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Agreed, she needs to get it checked out. There was an incindent in Michigan where some guys installed a furnace, temped it in until the morning. Only thing was they connected the intake vent and not the exhaust, when they returned in the morning the H/O was deceased.

Get it checked out.
    Not even worth guessing. If I were the installer I would be right there to check it out, I would not be able to sleep until I knew for sure. Anyone ever get half way home and think "did I put the plug back in the port on the gas valve" and drive back just to see that you did. It is still worth the piece of mind to know for sure.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    Not even worth guessing. If I were the installer I would be right there to check it out, I would not be able to sleep until I knew for sure. Anyone ever get half way home and think "did I put the plug back in the port on the gas valve" and drive back just to see that you did. It is still worth the piece of mind to know for sure.

usually its halfway home from an install and i'm calling my brother or he's calling me to see if one of us relit the water heater..........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post

Get it checked out.

Twilli says always get paid in advance
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says always get paid in advance

LOL................in that situation I don't think it would matter!

Post Likes

are you using natural or L.P. gas?

Post Likes

Smell is gone

I opened up all the windows and took the baby over to my sisters. My dad insisted that it was fine but I didn't want to take any chances which is why I removed my daughter from the house. My dad continued to run the furnace and the smell eventually went away. It still makes me worried that the smell lasted longer than normal and gave me such a bad headache. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.
    -Sara

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slelle View Post
    I opened up all the windows and took the baby over to my sisters. My dad insisted that it was fine but I didn't want to take any chances which is why I removed my daughter from the house. My dad continued to run the furnace and the smell eventually went away. It still makes me worried that the smell lasted longer than normal and gave me such a bad headache. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.
    -Sara
    You were right in not wanting to take any chances. Good luck with your remodel at home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slelle View Post
    -Sara

Have you gotten a carbon monoxide alarm?

Ask your contractor for a quality one like an Aprilaire or Honeywell.

The ones in the big box stores are junk.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Twilli says the best CO monitor is the NCI model

http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in