+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HVAC techs BC canada, HVAc good carrer?

Post Likes
    Any certified trades person can pick up a subsequent trade. It is only a question of how much or if any cross program technical training or trade work experience credit is awarded.

In British Columbia, ITA recognizes that several trades share common skills and areas of practice, and the Gasfitter "B" certification. ITA may award cross trade credit towards completing a subsequent trade - effectively shortening the number of technical training hours and work experience hours directly related to a subsequent trade.

The Refrigeration TQ and Plumber TQ are related in that there are shared piping skills and gas and heating practice related to the Gas "B" certification. To be awarded a Plumber TQ, one requires a sponsor to attest to work experience in plumbing - not HVAC. While some plumbers and fitters with hydronic, steam and DDC experience may migrate to the HVAC industry via the Gas "B" and refrigerant handling certifications, it is unlikely a Refrigeration Mechanic migrates to plumbing. Are you seriously going to volunteer for work orders to install complete plumbing systems, replace urinals and toilets, clean drains and grease traps, replace broken drainage pipes and urinal flush valves, lay perimeter drainage, etc.?
    We do it right... after lunch!

Post Likes

Thank you

I am currently an aspiring 5th class power engineer. You are so right about doing work orders for urinals and toilets. Some of the work you mentioned I do regular basis currently and want to get it away from it. Really appreciate your comment, sometimes it gives you a wake up call. Anyways I am attending the big info session at BCIT this tuesday and HVAC will be covered. Hopefully I can learn something new from the department heads.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by puzni View Post
    I am currently an aspiring 5th class power engineer. You are so right about doing work orders for urinals and toilets. Some of the work you mentioned I do regular basis currently and want to get it away from it. Really appreciate your comment, sometimes it gives you a wake up call. Anyways I am attending the big info session at BCIT this tuesday and HVAC will be covered. Hopefully I can learn something new from the department heads.
    If you want to be a refrigeration mechanic, you want to go to JARTS, not BCIT. Better instructors, higher IP pass rate, and...cheaper.

http://www.jarts.ca

Post Likes
    um 1st class power engineers can make 110-200 in western Canada sitting in a plant. Why would you turn your back on that

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Armament View Post
    um 1st class power engineers can make 110-200 in western Canada sitting in a plant. Why would you turn your back on that
    Costs a fortune to do the tickets and you need plenty of years experience behind you! Also you ass is on the line as a first class.
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

Post Likes

Puzni

Do not take the bcit co-op program. you are much better off taking a pre app (eltt) and then persuing your apprenticeship that way. The co-op is a scam and most students end up having to got to 2nd, 3rd and 4th year anyways. (even though the co-op program is advertised and credited as an equivelent). You also have to redo your gas even though you do it as part of the co-op. I went thru the co-op program and, while it was a great way to get my foot in the door it would have been way more beneficial to just do an eltt and then start an apprenticeship.

Post Likes
    Dear wundumguy,

Where are live majority of the buildings require 4th class power engineering ticket and occasionally you will run into a place that needs a 3rd class power engineering ticket.
    Most guys get 4th class and will try to run as a chief engineer. Chief engineer title is great but than you are stuck with budgets and balancing your responsibilities versus management wishes. I want to be more on hands on side of things I guess.

Post Likes
    Hey penetr8or,

Yes the Jarts was mentioned at the info session. The instructors also informed us that even though you complete the first level of co op program you can be asked by the hiring company to go through the apprentice program training levels 2,3 4. The ELTT at BCIT is 25 weeks and coop level one is 20 weeks and yes you are right at the end no one cares where you got the education as long as you have your IP ticket.
    The wait lists at BCIT are long for both Coop and ELTT program but they are thinking of opening another training program through the year. I wish I knew about this board earlier because last year i put my name on a wait list and you can only choose one (Coop or ELTT) and I chose coop thinking it would be easier but now i probably would have listened to your advice. Thanks for the informative posts guys.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I heard today that JARTS is going to be offering a co-op program similar to the one at BCIT in the near future.

Post Likes
    Things still seem to be supper slow maybe its just this Christmas people always talk about.

Post Likes
    I dont know abou it being slow. I just got back from 2 weeks of holidays and I am swamped probably working Saturdays for a while even.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by penetr8or View Post
    I dont know abou it being slow. I just got back from 2 weeks of holidays and I am swamped probably working Saturdays for a while even.
    Must be nice

Post Likes
    Just wondering how things look rightnow in Oct 2012. I'm thinking of taking the pre apprentice program at jarts is this still the way to go or is there a better option now. Also looking at the BCIT 2 year coop but after reading some forum posts I'm thinking that's not thebest idea.

Thx.

Post Likes
    take the pre-app, regardless of choosing it a carreer, if you are good you will find work right from there.

Post Likes
    Hi Indy thx for tthe reply. I plan on taking the preapprentice program in Jan.

What's the next step after this besides finding a company to hire u as an apprentice? Are there other courses that I could take that will look good on a resume?

Also is JARTS still better than BCIT for the pre app program? Most posts I've read are years old.

Post Likes
    after pre app, you need to get on with a UA contractor, the ua local 516 site has a list of contractors.

The pre app, is all you really need at this time.

I went thru jarts exclusively cannot say what bcit is like.

Post Likes
    You don't NEED to join the union. Especially if commercial/industrial work isn't your forté

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    after pre app, you need to get on with a UA contractor, the ua local 516 site has a list of contractors.

The pre app, is all you really need at this time.

I went thru jarts exclusively cannot say what bcit is like.
    How long after completing jarts did u find a company willing to take u on? Did u do the pre app at jarts? Or another class?
    Thx.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aky View Post
    How long after completing jarts did u find a company willing to take u on? Did u do the pre app at jarts? Or another class?
    Thx.
    3 months they called me.

yes took pre-app throught jarts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in