+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anybody good with older snowmobile engines?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    115 psi ? Thats aweful low for a 2 cycle engine

I like to see 150 , 140 is average

Make sure both plugs are out and throttle is wide open when testing

You might need to pull that flywheel off and see if the key-way is sheared in half , that will throw off your timing really bad
    I think 120 is more in line than 150, especially for an older sled. My race sled with 110 octane heads were like 160ish

Post Likes
    check and see if flywheel key sheared

Post Likes
    i agree, i have never seen a stock motor with that much compression. i am pulling the flywheel tomoroew. it is hot tub night tonight. we are kidless. we have a few other sleds so this one isn't a priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I think 120 is more in line than 150, especially for an older sled. My race sled with 110 octane heads were like 160ish

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i agree, i have never seen a stock motor with that much compression. i am pulling the flywheel tomoroew. it is hot tub night tonight. we are kidless. we have a few other sleds so this one isn't a priority.
    If you wake up in the 80s we need to hear the story here first ok?

Post Likes
    If you wake up in the 80s we need to hear the story here first ok?
    was htalk here then? i will do my best. maybe some pics of the rock'n concerts. man did they know how to rock back then or what?

Post Likes
    was htalk here then? i will do my best. maybe some pics of the rock'n concerts. man did they know how to rock back then or what?
    My dads in a rock band so I know first hand about that stuff lol.
    I guess you didn't see the movie hot tub time machine? They make it back to the present.

Post Likes
    115 psi ? Thats aweful low for a 2 cycle engine

I like to see 150 , 140 is average

Make sure both plugs are out and throttle is wide open when testing

You might need to pull that flywheel off and see if the key-way is sheared in half , that will throw off your timing really bad
    The flywheel key is what I was thinking. Mowers are notorious for that if something didn't happen when it was supposed to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    The flywheel key is what I was thinking. Mowers are notorious for that if something didn't happen when it was supposed to.
    yes, you are right. but don't you loose spark all together?

Post Likes
    With the stator not moving you shouldn't have spark. A 2 stroke isn't timed like a 4, there's no Valves. The spark plug just sparks continuously. I really don't remember ever having to deal with timing on a 2 stoke, it just spins and does its job.

Post Likes
    With the stator not moving you shouldn't have spark. A 2 stroke isn't timed like a 4, there's no Valves. The spark plug just sparks continuously. I really don't remember ever having to deal with timing on a 2 stoke, it just spins and does its job.
    i think it has a crank cncor and the flywheel has a magnet. when they touch it sparks. i think this is how it works. it seems it has to be timed. if not i think it could spark at the top or bottom of the stroke and possably detonete. right?

Post Likes
    When the piston hits the bottom there is no compression to make it fire. You may be right I never really got into that area on a 2 stroke

Post Likes
    i have to go fix the bobcat then i will check the flywheel on the sled. i have zero phone reception up there and no internet. it makes it hard. man, i think i was a better mechanic before i found the internet.lol
    When the piston hits the bottom there is no compression to make it fire. You may be right I never really got into that area on a 2 stroke

Post Likes
    i think it has a crank cncor and the flywheel has a magnet. when they touch it sparks. i think this is how it works. it seems it has to be timed. if not i think it could spark at the top or bottom of the stroke and possably detonete. right?
    If it fired before to early before TDC then the motor would want to spin backwards. Its a timed ignition.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Even with a sheared key it would spark when ever the flywheel passes the stator. There would be enough drag that the flywheel would turn even with a sheared key. The timing might get screwed though. all my two stroke motors had tapered shafts and woodruff keys.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Fyi .... Ether , starting fluid , works great with diesels , but for your gas engine use gasoline and pour couple tablespoons down carb

This coming from a fella been a mechanic for 25 years and work on both

Yes that would be me : )

Post Likes
    Fyi .... Ether , starting fluid , works great with diesels , but for your gas engine use gasoline and pour couple tablespoons down carb

This coming from a fella been a mechanic for 25 years and work on both

Yes that would be me : )
    i agree, but it was just for diagnostics. we worked at it for a little while last night. (the fridge git in the way.lol) we found it has a fuel delivery issue also. but i am headed up now, i want to concentrate on the ignition issue.

Post Likes
    if you have a manual..id check the static timing...spark at wrong time=no firing (assuming fuel system operating )

Post Likes
    i wish i had a manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    if you have a manual..id check the static timing...spark at wrong time=no firing (assuming fuel system operating )

Post Likes
    funny thing with starting fluid .... sometimes it will make starting WORSE on a gas engine

If you have fuel delivery issues , bypass all that to see if your ignition is ok , lets hear her run a few seconds

Let that thing air out a few days with no plugs , then pour couple teaspoons fresh gas in the carb

If you are trying to use gas thats been sitting around 6 months , its no good

Todays gas with ethanol doesnt like to sit , it turns to worthless crap , it litterally loses its flamability

Post Likes
    funny thing with starting fluid .... sometimes it will make starting WORSE on a gas engine

If you have fuel delivery issues , bypass all that to see if your ignition is ok , lets hear her run a few seconds

Let that thing air out a few days with no plugs , then pour couple teaspoons fresh gas in the carb

If you are trying to use gas thats been sitting around 6 months , its no good

Todays gas with ethanol doesnt like to sit , it turns to worthless crap , it litterally loses its flamability
    X2 gas nowadays is ****! The last two things I had with old gas were a pita to get going again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in