Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return Air Grill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hcong View Post
    70 F is okay, I like it 70 F on a hot summer day . Unfortunately your unit is probably sized for a 74-75 F design temperature. House and unit are both fairly new... so it doesn't seem like a leaky house... No leaky supply ducts or long supply duct runs? Do you have flexible supply ducts?

You should see if your supply are giving you 1200 cfm... if not you might need a bigger blower.
    When you say it is "sized" for a 74-75 design temperature, do you mean the tonage (3 ton) of the compressor/condensor unit and the (3 ton) evaporator unit?

I don't know of any leaks as, like you said, it is a new house. To my knowledge there are no leaky ducts. We do not have very long duct runs, and most (perhaps all) of the runs from the trunk to each supply register is flex.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tlhiv View Post
    When you say it is "sized" for a 74-75 design temperature, do you mean the tonage (3 ton) of the compressor/condensor unit and the (3 ton) evaporator unit?

I don't know of any leaks as, like you said, it is a new house. To my knowledge there are no leaky ducts. We do not have very long duct runs, and most (perhaps all) of the runs from the trunk to each supply register is flex.
    Yeah, if you assume everything else is in perfect condition... then your 3 ton might not be able to hold 70 F. Usually when engineers or contractor do the load calculations to choose your condenser and coils, they assume the residents will run the AC to hold at least 74-75 F. The goal these days is to undersize units... I would still maybe sure you are getting the correct amount of air through your supply registers... adding the return grille from my quick calculations won't give you much.

If you bought one of those houses from a national builder... they will put the same system in all their homes no matter which way the windows face or house is oriented.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    I would still maybe sure you are getting the correct amount of air through your supply registers... adding the return grille from my quick calculations won't give you much.
    How can I measure this? Do I have to have a special meter to measure the amount of air flow?

Post Likes
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=CFM+meter

Might be cheaper to get someone who has the device and just get a full inspections so you know nothing else is wrong.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=CFM+meter

Might be cheaper to get someone who has the device and just get a full inspections so you know nothing else is wrong.
    Indeed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in