+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Charging r404a help

Post Likes
    Actually, life has been getting better for me, even though I pretend to be a refer tech by day and pontificate on here by night....

I cannot disagree that this site has improved my skills and broadened my knowledge base. It has changed the way I think about systems and my approach to troubleshooting.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I'm not strictly refrigeration. I entered a field in restaurant equipment repair 12 years ago after 20 years military. Currently, in the course of a month I might get half a dozen refrigeration calls.

Going from 25 ton capacity mobile A/Cs (for ground aircraft maintenance use) to refrigeration was a huge leap. Practices there were on a grander scale but lacking the broad-based knowledge and experiences you guys learned and practice. THERE - only a few types of equipment to know and repair with any practices OUTSIDE the base's front gate mainly crossing over to automotive A/C. I was even an instructor in their electrical and A/C tech schools for a few years.

But, I was mainly a tweak in the field, working on electric power units - so didn't even REALLY practice my knowledge in refrigeration theory until I started THIS job. Well schooled and studied for military purposes, but not much practice. Add (or subtract) to that, many things forgotten from years past.

Nevertheless, here I am.

I'd love to go through a modern trade school for reinforcement and to ramp up on newer technology and tools. But at 50 - I don't know.

In the mean time, I'm fascinated with the level of knowledge on this forum. Not just books or a class or alone at a job "scratching my noggin because I never seen this happen before so who do I call" sort of stuff. I can get on here and pick other's brains with questions that haunt me...or others...and load up with know-how from other's experiences.

A knowledge-base such as this forum is invaluable. Such a resource didn't exist ten years ago.

Appreciate ya'll...for your dedication, professionalism and willingness to help out each other (and me) even when you're not on the clock.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    I'm not strictly refrigeration. I entered a field in restaurant equipment repair 12 years ago after 20 years military. Currently, in the course of a month I might get half a dozen refrigeration calls.

Going from 25 ton capacity mobile A/Cs (for ground aircraft maintenance use) to refrigeration was a huge leap. Practices there were on a grander scale but lacking the broad-based knowledge and experiences you guys learned and practice. THERE - only a few types of equipment to know and repair with any practices OUTSIDE the base's front gate mainly crossing over to automotive A/C. I was even an instructor in their electrical and A/C tech schools for a few years.

But, I was mainly a tweak in the field, working on electric power units - so didn't even REALLY practice my knowledge in refrigeration theory until I started THIS job. Well schooled and studied for military purposes, but not much practice. Add (or subtract) to that, many things forgotten from years past.

Nevertheless, here I am.

I'd love to go through a modern trade school for reinforcement and to ramp up on newer technology and tools. But at 50 - I don't know.

In the mean time, I'm fascinated with the level of knowledge on this forum. Not just books or a class or alone at a job "scratching my noggin because I never seen this happen before so who do I call" sort of stuff. I can get on here and pick other's brains with questions that haunt me...or others...and load up with know-how from other's experiences.

A knowledge-base such as this forum is invaluable. Such a resource didn't exist ten years ago.

Appreciate ya'll...for your dedication, professionalism and willingness to help out each other (and me) even when you're not on the clock.
    EC By some small chance you wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for a Hobart M# DN97 convection oven ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    EC By some small chance you wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for a Hobart M# DN97 convection oven ?
    Not with me but will try to get by the shop tomorrow and look. However, most of what we have is mainly parts ID info and lacking tech literature. Will see.

Post Likes
    Unless the diagram is on the machine, your going to have to call hobart and beg them to email it to you..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Unless the diagram is on the machine, your going to have to call hobart and beg them to email it to you..
    Yup. They're well trained at not sharing. I think the most they'll do is give out part numbers to non-Hobartians.

Hey VTP,
    Had an insane day so nothing yet.
    Next week. >>>>> I won't forget.

Chances are that our manuals are mainly parts breakdowns but lucked out on a few of them through the years with some service info.

Post Likes
    Yup. They're well trained at not sharing. I think the most they'll do is give out part numbers to non-Hobartians.

Hey VTP,
    Had an insane day so nothing yet.
    Next week. >>>>> I won't forget.

Chances are that our manuals are mainly parts breakdowns but lucked out on a few of them through the years with some service info.
    Thanks EC
    Just wanted a wiring diagram for the next time i service this oven. One of the contactor poles was bad. The oven has two 3 phase contactors wired in parallel. The six load wires go to six heater terminals. I can not see the elements so i don't know how they are configured. I would think it's quite simple looking at a diagram. With the one bad pole i had no heat but when i jumped out the bad pole all the heaters work. I'm going to replace with a generic contractor because the fancy Hobart one looks really expensive.This oven is 20 plus years old. That 3 phase heater setup can be a little tricky sometimes.
    Thanks again.

Post Likes
    The three phase heater is easy. Just like on a pkg unit..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Joe,
    I had contacted Hobart hoping for the best. They pretty much laughed and proceeded to tell me i was working on a dinosaur and nothing was to be had accept some parts. Also said this oven was one of G.E.s prior to Hobart buying.
    High end equipment with high price parts and no discounts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Joe,
    I had contacted Hobart hoping for the best. They pretty much laughed and proceeded to tell me i was working on a dinosaur and nothing was to be had accept some parts. Also said this oven was one of G.E.s prior to Hobart buying.
    High end equipment with high price parts and no discounts.
    I've got a pet GE stove at a local daycare that sounds simular. That old fiber wrapped, high temp SOLID conductor wiring. Three phase. They won't get rid of it because it was purchased for them by Elvis Presley, which they remind me of everytime I come to work on it.

Quite a token piece of furniture.

How'd this thread deviate from Charging r404a help ? Did I do that?

And besides...it's Friday night and I should be out singing karaoke. Mbut I'm mon call...

Post Likes
    I've got a pet GE stove at a local daycare that sounds simular. That old fiber wrapped, high temp SOLID conductor wiring. Three phase. They won't get rid of it because it was purchased for them by Elvis Presley, which they remind me of everytime I come to work on it.

Quite a token piece of furniture.

How'd this thread deviate from Charging r404a help ? Did I do that?

And besides...it's Friday night and I should be out singing karaoke. Mbut I'm mon call...
    No i on post #63 sorry Woff

Post Likes
    Well VTP, my email is in my profile so send me yours since I don't see one in your profile. Is that how it works here? Don't know how else to get back to you...

Post Likes
    Well VTP, my email is in my profile so send me yours since I don't see one in your profile. Is that how it works here? Don't know how else to get back to you...
    EC,

Sent you a email last night.

Post Likes
    What he said

Thanx for the descriptive reply. I charged today high side by weight with the system off. Let settle, then turn on machine, frost up to comp and comp is cold in and in a few minutes comp shuts off.
    My first question is is the overload inside the 3 n1 is rated at? Then I'm wondering is the comp shutting off because it's too cold?

So I recover out some charge and suction line is no longer frosty and begin too make ice in bottom of evap maybe whole evap couldnt check due to time.

After I get the temp right, I need to install a defrost timer with multiple setings To open and close the hot gas solenoid, water inlet solinoid, water dump solenoid, this is because the control board wasn't working , I was only getting 4 v at the contactor which is rated120 v . Fan, comp, pump all run straight 120 and neautral

What I say

OH NO......Please don,t cobble the machine. Fix it right. If it is not worth fixing, then condemn it. Don't start out your career doing work like that. You will not last long and will be very unhappy. Never try to do your customer a favor by cobbling or taking short cuts. It will come back to bit you. Just ask any seasoned tec, he will tell you a story. Be professional, have a high standard, and be conscientious.

Anyone have a story about trying to do a customer a favor??
    Last edited by DDDpope; 05-03-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    The contactors for those ovens are usually (mercy contactors) and are expensive. Might try 'General Parts' for a diagram, they have a lot better luck getting service material from Hobart.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't have to pay that labor bill HEHE!!

Post Likes
    No good deed goes unpunished.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in