+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three stage cooling and Two stage heating.

Post Likes

Three stage cooling and Two stage heating.

I helped install a new residential multistage heat pump system that was equipped to provide three stages cooling with two stages of heating. To be honest I really don’t understand how all the stages of heating and cooling were to be accomplished by the t-stat. I guess it’s something that I never picked up, or really understood but what I don't understand clearly is how or what controls the stages? Any takers?

Post Likes
    3 stages? How was that managed?

You might need one of those little PLC type programmable controllers with display that has analog inputs and at least 6 digital outputs.

Post Likes
    A digital t-stat with 5 relays could easly do it. Pretty easy really. Honeywell make 3H/3C t-stats. Not cheap thou.

http://customer.honeywell.com/honeywell/productinfo.aspx/T7350H1009

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    O & M HVAC/R Tech

Post Likes
    I do not understand how there would NOT be more stages of heat.

You should have the same heat and cool from heat pump(in theory) as well as at least 1 stage of back up, maybe more.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Mind you this is a guess, 3 compressors and 2 reversing valves.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    O & M HVAC/R Tech

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    What brand?
    I'm really curious on this. I'm having trouble seeing the value over something like a Carrier Greenspeed.

Maybe it's a two scroll unit with two refrigerant circuits and one of the scrolls unloads? But in heat, you only run with both loaded, since I think unloaded you don't gain any efficency in heating mode.

Or a custom air handler with a A coil that has 2 refrigerant circuits and one of them is a 2 stage condenser.

An interesting alternative when you think about it in applications where you want some redundancy and a sytem that rusn almost constantly or has a very small zone, but don't need more than 5 tons and are space limited to a single air handler. but it seems to me that an inverter unit would be better.

Post Likes
    Your right looking at it agian its 3heat and 3 cooling.

Post Likes
    Trane.Trane.

Post Likes
    Are you absolutely sure it isn't the much more common 2 cool/3 heat?

Post Likes
    maybe controlling two units off one tstat? a/c units and furnaces?

I had a 3 cool, 2 heat a few yrs back. used a time delay for last stage.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes

3H/2C

This is quite common on geo systems and I would think on most air source HP's.
    Generally you would have a two stage compressor with two stages of heat and two of cool & 1 back up. I'm pretty sure most t-stats i've used have a time delay or a combination of temperature change over time for the back up/3rd stage relay.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zacmobile View Post
    This is quite common on geo systems and I would think on most air source HP's.
    Generally you would have a two stage compressor with two stages of heat and two of cool & 1 back up. I'm pretty sure most t-stats i've used have a time delay or a combination of temperature change over time for the back up/3rd stage relay.

But he's talking about 3 cool, 2 heat. The vision pro IAQ will do 4heat, 2 cool. But I haven't seen one that will do 3 cool, there's not much demand for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    But he's talking about 3 cool, 2 heat. The vision pro IAQ will do 4heat, 2 cool. But I haven't seen one that will do 3 cool, there's not much demand for it.
    He corrected himself, and said its 3 heat 2 cool.

Post Likes

3h2c

Quote Originally Posted by jjmarquez84 View Post
    I helped install a new residential multistage heat pump system that was equipped to provide three stages cooling with two stages of heating. To be honest I really don’t understand how all the stages of heating and cooling were to be accomplished by the t-stat. I guess it’s something that I never picked up, or really understood but what I don't understand clearly is how or what controls the stages? Any takers?
    Fairly simple for a good thermostat/thermidistat. First stage cool brought on by temp rise,second stage brought on by higher temp or time depending on how the stat is set up. Heating will be the same with an outdoor temp sensor or two in the mix to determin which stage to bring on.

Our house (has 4h2c) for example is set up to bring on 1st stage cool with a 1 degree rise and second stage cool with a 2 degree rise. If the humidity is above 50% then it runs second stage compressor but leaves the blower on first stage cfm. The heat pump runs seconds stage if the outdoor temp is between 32 and 50, first stage hp only if it's over 50,first stage gas if it's 31 or less and second stage gas if the stat falls 2 degrees below set point.

Post Likes
    One simple solution for 3 cooling stages is to use the dehumidification terminal to drop out 2nd stage. Otherwise you normally cycle between 2nd and 3rd stages. The airflow would have to by managed by the air handler(s). But airflwo requirements would depend on how many refrigerant circuits it has and how the coils are configured.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in