+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Giving up stem thermometers to check temp rise and drop forever

Post Likes

Giving up stem thermometers to check temp rise and drop forever

...so I have been researching and found a Fluke dual port differential reading thermometer for over four hundred dollars...but made in China.
    That was the deal breaker.

I want a good thermometer that does not need to be calibrated every time I use it.

Curious as to what other techs are buying?

Post Likes
    I've got 2 Fluke 52s that are about 17-18 years old.

I'm not fond of them anymore as I doubt K-type probes more and more daily.

I'm looking seriously at Cooper dual-input thermometers lately.

Post Likes
    http://www.cooper-atkins.com/Products/Thermistors/

I have the SHR77A. High accuracy, never needs to be calibrated. Solid instrument. Probe storage could use improvement, but once you get a routine down you can manage to get them in there and get it closed without much hassle. I bought an extra pipe strap so I could check SH and SC simultaneously. The Cooper pipe straps are more accurate than any temperature clamps that I've tried.

Post Likes
    Good advice. Cooper was one of the brands at the forefront of my list.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I like Cooper products as well. I have a few of their stick thermometer. i keep one in my pen pocket for taking quick temp measurements. Cooper products are used alot in testing food preperation and saftey/code enforcement testing to make sure that chinese cat meat is stored at the to correct temp. I too have Fluke 52 with k-type thermocouples which i do not like as much anymore since i've been exposed to thermistor accuracy.

I keep My Fluke 52 in my Combustion analyzer case for checking temp rise, but i wish they had thermistor sensors. I'm more interested in accuracy more then speed. I like the tool just not the sensors. I may have to get a cooper setup. I wouldn't mind having another Cooper product period.

WHAT THERMOMETER (TYPE, Brand<model) WOULD YOU USED TO DOUBLE CHECK A THERMOSTATS ACCURACY?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    I like Cooper products as well. I have a few of their stick thermometer. i keep one in my pen pocket for taking quick temp measurements. Cooper products are used alot in testing food preperation and saftey/code enforcement testing to make sure that chinese cat meat is stored at the to correct temp. I too have Fluke 52 with k-type thermocouples which i do not like as much anymore since i've been exposed to thermistor accuracy.

I keep My Fluke 52 in my Combustion analyzer case for checking temp rise, but i wish they had thermistor sensors. I'm more interested in accuracy more then speed. I like the tool just not the sensors. I may have to get a cooper setup. I wouldn't mind having another Cooper product period.

WHAT THERMOMETER (TYPE, Brand<model) WOULD YOU USED TO DOUBLE CHECK A THERMOSTATS ACCURACY?
    I use my IR for checking t-stats. I move the laser spot around until the reading on the IR matches the reading on the t-stat, then say "See there, your t-stat is accurate".

Post Likes
    Cooper SH66A.

Post Likes
    Does anyone else make a dual probe thermistor style meter that is worth anything except Cooper. My boss has one and I agree that its great, but the design is horrible. I am looking for something smaller and more friendly to use. Is there even anything like that out there?
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Post Likes
    The fluke 52 isn't a bad meter if you can get thermistor temp probes for it so it would be more accurate. I am in search for thermistor sensors for it as well. Even with the k-type the Fluke 52 is still a very high quality product.

My next purchase is a coope sch77. If you can afford it, its way better just to buy the better product. Just the fact that i can prevent you from making a mistake on a serivce call will pay for its self and then some....Nothing more embrassing then having to go on a follow up call...at least of you a competent tech that takes pride in their work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thRoot View Post
    Does anyone else make a dual probe thermistor style meter that is worth anything except Cooper. My boss has one and I agree that its great, but the design is horrible. I am looking for something smaller and more friendly to use. Is there even anything like that out there?
    OP don't want to hear about it but you could use a Digi-Cool AK-900 for a dual thermometer. I saw some UEi thermistor thermometers too.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    The fluke 52 isn't a bad meter if you can get thermistor temp probes for it so it would be more accurate. I am in search for thermistor sensors for it as well. Even with the k-type the Fluke 52 is still a very high quality product.

My next purchase is a coope sch77. If you can afford it, its way better just to buy the better product. Just the fact that i can prevent you from making a mistake on a serivce call will pay for its self and then some....Nothing more embrassing then having to go on a follow up call...at least of you a competent tech that takes pride in their work.
    I don't think that you're going to find thermistor type sensors for a thermocouple thermometer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    http://www.cooper-atkins.com/Products/Thermistors/

I have the SHR77A. High accuracy, never needs to be calibrated. Solid instrument. Probe storage could use improvement, but once you get a routine down you can manage to get them in there and get it closed without much hassle. I bought an extra pipe strap so I could check SH and SC simultaneously. The Cooper pipe straps are more accurate than any temperature clamps that I've tried.
    X2...
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    I've had an SH66A and now have an SRH77A and it is a solid tool. Dropped, stepped on, and very accurate. Great options of accessories.

If you aren't in any hurry, watch eBay. I bought my 66 for 50 bucks and the 77 for 125.

Post Likes
    I had to make some compromises to get the differential thermometer I wanted.
    http://www.ueitest.com/sites/default...es/dt304-1.jpg
    My priorities were:

1. Size
    2. Country of origin
    3. Ease of use
    4. Accuracy
    5. cost

Final decision is the UEI DTM 304. Four K-type inputs.
    NIST Calibration Certificate.
    Self explanatory operation.
    Fits easily in one hand.
    Temp off set, back light, big screen and numeral.
    Made in Korea.
    Less than $175 shipped.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in