Thread: Failing condenser fan motors.

Post Likes

Failing condenser fan motors.

Most of the time when the cfm fails it's not running when I arrive and the repair is simple enough. Sometimes though the unit has been shut off and I can hope it fails while I'm there or get an amp meter reading high enough to indicate failure is imminent. So the question is there a percentage of rated amps that above which you can consider the motor faulty?

I've been amping the new ones after install and they run real close to 68% of what's on the motor plate. I had one that was running at .9 amps and the plate stated 1.1 amps, which is 82%. This motor failed while I was standing there after it had been running about 20 minutes. Amps shot up to 2.6 and it screached to a halt.

I know this is a broad question concerning different mfg.'s but since the motors are all made pretty much the same way they should fail about the same way.

TIA,
    Barrie

Post Likes

Semper Fi

Hey... your percentage is about right for oem motors. Keep in mind that poorly position fan blades in relation to the shroud can cause high amps ..."chopping".... Also improper run caps even if they check out on mfd check doesnt always mean capacitants are performing in high temps, when in doubt change that 2 dollar part. Even fla is bad on a been static for a while unit. An option you have as a busy service tech who is waiting and waiting for a questionable fan motor too fail is to remove power and wait for blades to stop then apply power for 10 sec then remove power again repeating these steps 3-5 times. If you have bad windings, or run cap that motor will usually fail. If bearings are bad you will know also.
    Hope this helps.

Post Likes

Barriehie

Pose these questions on the pro tech forums and if your not signed up, its easy and quick to do

Post Likes
    Thank you ddog1, more stuff to keep in mind. I don't think I have enough posts to apply yet for Pro.

Barrie

Post Likes
    No. You need one more at this time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barriehie View Post
    Thank you ddog1, more stuff to keep in mind. I don't think I have enough posts to apply yet for Pro.

Barrie
    Answer a few posts in the Food and Grill forum and you're good-to-go.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in