Thread: Home warranty replacing my Pulse G14 what is my efficiency?

Post Likes

Home warranty replacing my Pulse G14 what is my efficiency?

It seems my secondary heat exchangers sprung a leak in my Lennox Pulse G14Q3-80-13 After speaking with my home warranty company, they are telling me my furnace is equivalent to the economy line 92 efficient single stage Lennox units of today. From my own research it seems the G14 Pulse was a bit more efficient. Should I push for one of the middle of the road Lennox’s or are they correct? I trust the opinions here much more than a home warranty company. Thank you in advance.

Post Likes
    Two ways to look at it.
    The Pulse was most likely the top of the line at the time.
    But it was just a single stage furnace, with a PSC blower motor.
    I don't think you're going to get an upgrade.
    Last edited by 2old2rock; 01-10-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    It's a decent swap, but I would want to pay a little extra for an upgrade.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Thank you, I found some prices online for a G61 and and an EL195E. They are not bad, so I'm not sure what they are trying to stay under for unit cost. I didn't find any prices for the ML193, which is what I am guessing they are trying to give me from the specs they read to me. What Lennox furnace would you suggest from experience in the field?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fungames43232 View Post
    Thank you, I found some prices online for a G61 and and an EL195E. They are not bad, so I'm not sure what they are trying to stay under for unit cost. I didn't find any prices for the ML193, which is what I am guessing they are trying to give me from the specs they read to me. What Lennox furnace would you suggest from experience in the field?
    It would be helpful to search this site for home warranty companies

Unfortunately , the price the warranty company pays for the unit and to get it installed isn't enough to do the job right.

It is recommended you take the payoff and hire a good contractor. This will be some $$.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    It would be helpful to search this site for home warranty companies

Unfortunately , the price the warranty company pays for the unit and to get it installed isn't enough to do the job right.

It is recommended you take the payoff and hire a good contractor. This will be some $$.
    Great, I just did some searching. Sounds like I'm in for a bad day. I looked at my home warranty a little closer and it does not cover removal or disposal. I think it might be a good idea to take the pay off and work with the HVAC company to get things done right. Thank you for all of the input.

Post Likes
    That furnace was more fuel efficient than what they are quoting you. However... that furnace was a single stage unit, had a standard PSC blower motor, and was also 20 to 30 years old and has long surpassed its expected useful life.

If I wrecked a 1983 cadillac - the best money could buy at the time - should the insurance company pay me it's value, or should they buy me a 2013 cadillac - the best money can buy?

I do second the notion of take the payout and run away from a home warranty company install. Pay the extra, get the good equipment, and get a load calculation done, and get a good installation.

Post Likes
    I would take the buy out! Home warranty companies find the cheapest people to do the work. In which often leads to a poor installation of equipment, oversizing, etc...

The best thing would be to take the buy out and find a local contractor that will come in and size your new system properly not have a home warranty company send someone out that will just look at your current furnace and size off that.

Home warranty companies never pay the proper amount of $$$ to do the job correct. In other words you get what you pay for. I have dealt with them more times then I would like. They set there price based of there numbers and only allow $$$ of money to install.

Which means they have in most cases a preset amount to change out furnace, coils, condensers etc. not every home or home owner is the same. I don't no about everyone else but I don't like someone telling me they will only pay $$$ to install a new compant or equipment! How do they no what it cost to do the job right and meet code as they have never been to your home.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Don't use the HW contractor if you take the buy-out (yes to the buy-out!). Find a better contractor that will do the job right.

Post Likes
    There seems to be a common theme here. I did talk to a contractor here and their cost(what they pay) for the same furnace the HW company was going to install was almost double, but they said that would not be the case on some of the higher cost units. I think I will get a couple quotes and go ahead an replace the AC while I'm at it. Thank you everyone for your input.

Post Likes
    Lennox provides a credit towards the replacement cost of the furnace for a specific model.

You can opt to pay more for a higher up unit.

In either case the labor is NOT covered.

I will add warranty companies are mostly a joke, although I had a customer tell me she has nothing but high praises for the company she has on one of her rental homes(she got it when she bought the house). They have done no wrong and covered each item as if they care to do it right.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-12-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LTII View Post
    Call a Lennox dealer. The G14 had a issue with the manifold of the secondary leaking. Lennox did offer a new heat exchanger installed at no charge or a G26 but you pay for install. Not sure what the deal is now. Best bet call a Lennox dealer.

only if he is the original owner, or if unit is under 20 years old.
    with that model # i'm thinking he's past the 20 year mark.
    with a home warranty i doubt he's the original owner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    only if he is the original owner, or if unit is under 20 years old.
    with that model # i'm thinking he's past the 20 year mark.
    with a home warranty i doubt he's the original owner.
    Good point! They have a loop hole that might apply to the original poster that if not the first owner or unit is over 20 years old they want cover it. I can't say as I blame them for this rule.

I wouldn't even try to do this. The furnace is past it average life span. Although I have seen many 20 year old furnaces that are still working as I am sure we all have. As far as the Lennox pulse furnaces this would not be a unit that I would sink $$$ into or for that matter any unit that old.

Take the buy out find you a good contractor and get a new furnace installed that has warranty. This way you want have to keep worrying about a 20 year furnace and if the warranty company installers did the job right.

I must say again that home warrantys are a joke when it comes to heating and cooling equipment, water heaters and electrical work. They will send out the lowest cost person to try and fix and or replace the system.

Post Likes
    Thank you I will be calling a Lennox dealer on Monday. I am not the original owner and the unit would be 24 year old.

Post Likes
    LTII

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in