+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Ton Trane

Post Likes
    Okay, I'm confused now. So if there are two filter driers it won't hurt the system? I'm sure this happens many times, doesn't it? If someone could clarify the potential issues with this and whether or not it will harm it that would be great.

Post Likes
    Ryan, I do not know off the top of my head if your unit has a LL drier installed from the factory. If I had to guess, I’d say no. But I could be wrong.

OP My guess is your Trane unit has one. If the unit was special ordered it may not.

Factory installed driers are supposed to be removed before the installation of a new one.

No manufacturer I know of will say 2 driers in series is acceptable. The second drier will cause a pressure drop that is not accounted for in the systems design.
    Ed J

Post Likes
    I will look at the unit closer when I get back to work Tuesday. I did look through the top of the unit and did not see a copper spun liquid line drier, but it is possible I over looked it.

Post Likes
    Looks like there's a filter drier inside of my heat pump as well as outside. The one inside the unit looks smaller and length and is near the compressor. I haven't noticed any problems except some short cycling. It cools fine. I'd like to know what you guys think i.e. is it worth pursuing with the installer. I watched the contractor put it on as if it needed one.

Post Likes
    If it's near the compressor it's prolly a muffler not a drier. With Payne being a value line of equipment, I'm thinking there is little if any chance your unit came with a factory installed drier .
    Ed J

Post Likes
    Thanks. Muffler is probably what it is.

Post Likes
    Nice,neat install.Next time check for dryer inside though.Really looks good.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Okay, I'm confused now. So if there are two filter driers it won't hurt the system? I'm sure this happens many times, doesn't it? If someone could clarify the potential issues with this and whether or not it will harm it that would be great.
    In my early days of doing installs ( i've been in for 6 years ) I would install a drier on the liq. line all the time and have never had any callbacks for this extra item. I did it not knowing that the factory installed one already or I would peek into the unit and not see one and assume that it needed one. I learned later that on most equipment now it's not needed. As I stated before, it is not the best way but it will not cause any detrimental harm to the system IMO.

cobitech:

On the trane CU's you cannot see the drier by peeking down in through the top. They are mounted outside of the condenser coil on the side behind the quik access panel to the left of the control box. It's the only panel that has two screws along the vertical edge. When you remove them the access panel easily swings open and is removed. On the heatpump models the reversing valve is located here as well. Their mounting location is what used to fool me too. I thought all manufacturers put the guts to the system inside next to the compressor until I looked closer one day and saw the drier. It had a directonal arrow ink printed on the side of it. Oops. live and learn I guess.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Post Likes
    OrlandoTech,
    You are absolutely right! It does indeed have a copper spun liquid line drier going vertically inside the cover.

It is in series with the one that I installed, but I don't see pumping the unit down and recovering refrigerant unless it is adversley effecting the operation of the unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cobitech View Post
    OrlandoTech,
    You are absolutely right! It does indeed have a copper spun liquid line drier going vertically inside the cover.

It is in series with the one that I installed, but I don't see pumping the unit down and recovering refrigerant unless it is adversley effecting the operation of the unit.

Glad you found it. It won't affect the initial operation of the unit but over time it could fool a tech if the factory drier plugs up since the restriction would be downstream of the service port and he doesn't think to check for it. This is why it's a bad idea plus like someone else said you an get a slight pressure drop in the system from the extra drier and the added refrigerant you need to use to charge up the system.

Post Likes
    i have a trane AC UNIT. its a heat pump model built 10-2006,
    model number 2TWA0072A3000AB. i'm told its a 6 ton unit. long story, but i bought this thing for my house and then found out i can't use it because its a 3 phase unit. i paid 1000 for this thing. i've since bought a rooftop package unit for my house, but don't know what to do with this unit. its never been turned on. i've had people come and look at it and they checked the triggers to see if its ever been turned on and they showed me that the electricity has never been applied. any help here would be a blessing. thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eo1scw View Post
    i have a trane AC UNIT. its a heat pump model built 10-2006,
    model number 2TWA0072A3000AB. i'm told its a 6 ton unit. long story, but i bought this thing for my house and then found out i can't use it because its a 3 phase unit. i paid 1000 for this thing. i've since bought a rooftop package unit for my house, but don't know what to do with this unit. its never been turned on. i've had people come and look at it and they checked the triggers to see if its ever been turned on and they showed me that the electricity has never been applied. any help here would be a blessing. thanks
    Well sorry to hear that. You might have a hard time getting all of your money back out of it. If it were me I would go around to some of your local A/C shops that advertise that they do commercial work and see if they would be interested in buying it. Take some good photos of the unit and as much model and serial info as you can to help you sell it. As long as it has never been installed, you stand a better chance of recovering more of your money than if it was installed previously. Good Luck!

Post Likes
    An extra dryer is not a problem. Nice job.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

copper spun driers don't have enough dessicant in them to be true driers. More of a prefilter. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you pulled a good vacuum on it. Trane does usually allow suction oil traps anymore. The increased suction velocities due to higher compression ratio compressors makes it not needed. Nice job.
    MK

Post Likes

Hmm

Ive been installing Trane equipment since 1992 and I never knew they had a 6ton split cooling unit. I learn everyday. Great looking work. What size lineset does that require? 1 1/8th inch I'm guessing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonafan View Post
    Ive been installing Trane equipment since 1992 and I never knew they had a 6ton split cooling unit. I learn everyday. Great looking work. What size lineset does that require? 1 1/8th inch I'm guessing.
    Yeah I don't know exactly how big they go in split design but I've worked on a Carrier 20ton split before. The 6ton is 3-phase and needs 1 1/8" suction and has the same cabinet design as the residential units. 7.5 ton and up have the commercial grade cabinets.

Post Likes
    I do not agree about the quality of the installation, the liquid tight isn't strapped down, there is no inverted trap to ensure the oil stays in the unit and not free drain down into the evaporator coil, the liquid line looks crooked and the sight glass is before the drier. Also it's recommended these days to put the drier close to the metering device as possible. On my job site that would be a fail. Plus I keep looking at that disconnect floating out there. I would have secured it to the unit, probably would have put something new and smaller on.

One last thing sounds like you are on compressor number 3 or 4? Just my cents, sorry if I broke any of your forum rules.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juleous View Post
    I do not agree about the quality of the installation, the liquid tight isn't strapped down, there is no inverted trap to ensure the oil stays in the unit and not free drain down into the evaporator coil, the liquid line looks crooked and the sight glass is before the drier. Also it's recommended these days to put the drier close to the metering device as possible. On my job site that would be a fail. Plus I keep looking at that disconnect floating out there. I would have secured it to the unit, probably would have put something new and smaller on.

One last thing sounds like you are on compressor number 3 or 4? Just my cents, sorry if I broke any of your forum rules.
    An inverted trap on the liquid line would serve no purpose.

Post Likes
    I like to see the filter after the sight glass also

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    An inverted trap on the liquid line would serve no purpose.
    Are you kidding me? I didn't say liquid line, I didn't think I needed to say suction line.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in