+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AX device capacity

Post Likes

AX device capacity

AX capacity questions. I get differing explanations on capacity for LON devices on an AX box. Is this completely dependent on available resources or are there other considerations? For instance, does the box always consider all variables from a node or is more like the ilon100 where you pick the variables you want to deal with?

I'd like to know a practical average of how many devices an AX box can handle.

Also, can you leverage a AX to utilize IP852 or is this a lost cause because the box is limited?

TIA

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    AX capacity questions. I get differing explanations on capacity for LON devices on an AX box. Is this completely dependent on available resources or are there other considerations? For instance, does the box always consider all variables from a node or is more like the ilon100 where you pick the variables you want to deal with?

Also, can you leverage a AX to utilize IP852 or is this a lost cause because the box is limited?

TIA
    What are you up to now?

Post Likes
    I can guarantee you it is something...

Post Likes
    I can guarantee you it is something...
    You must have lost your link to Niagara Central, so here it is.
    Niagara Central

And here's something cool that's coming out soon. I hope Dear Leader will allow me to own one.
    98B

Post Likes

TIA
    As of Revision 3.2 IP852 is a go.
    The white papers are at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.tridium.com/cs/library/ax_library

Post Likes
    Does the box have enough physical capacity to make use of IP852? I'm thinking it doesn't.

Post Likes
    Which kool-aid whitepaper talks about IP852? TIA.

Post Likes
    Does the box have enough physical capacity to make use of IP852? I'm thinking it doesn't.
    Hmm. Why do you say that? You need to define "Box" as well.

Post Likes
    Be careful, you're walking into a sysint mine field.

He's not after info.

He's thought this AX bash out 40 moves ahead.

Post Likes
    nothing like that on this one NINAX. I'm just assembling some practical information on the product. I used to play chess as a kid and about the farthest I would get is 6 moves in advance... so crediting 40 to me is quite the compliment. Thanks

Post Likes
    nothing like that on this one NINAX. I'm just assembling some practical information on the product. I used to play chess as a kid and about the farthest I would get is 6 moves in advance... so crediting 40 to me is quite the compliment. Thanks
    Never underestimate one's opponent. And I still say this is AX bash set-up, or at least you'll try.

Why don't you start out by posting the ilon specs that you are requesting for an AX.

Then expand on which platform & options the AX you want to try to bash should be.

Post Likes
    ...what's an ilon?

"And I still say this is AX bash set-up, or at least you'll try." Nope. Absolutely not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    Hmm. Why do you say that? You need to define "Box" as well.
    I'm trying to understand their architecture and the capacity of each product in a Lonworks network.

Post Likes
    ...what's an ilon?
    The 46th 'word' in your original post.

I believe that response supports my point.
    Not served per your plan?

Post Likes
    Not sure why the heavy-duty suspicion...maybe I'm too clueless to have ever seen a hidden agenda from sysint...but anyway, my two cents:

As far as I can determine, the LON capacity of the box depends entirely on available resources, just as any integration in the box does. Now, it's still a foggy area exactly how Tridium handles memory management, as Ninax can testify that two disparately-priced JACE models can show vastly different abilities when certain memory stacks are compared ("heap" vs. available RAM) - the whole point is that "available resources" is a very nebulous term.

There's nothing in my experience that indicates that a JACE would have any problem handling IP852, if it had enough memory to function normally (some JACE models seem, well, underpowered...but there's a couple kickin' models that handle anything you can throw at them - I'd have no problem experimenting with IP852 on a JACE6 (with or without expanded memory) or a JACE-NXS).

Post Likes
    There's no USB port on a JACE so for IP852 does it utilize the Echelon config server or does it have it's own implementation?

Anyway, how many ASC LON controllers can you dump into the JACE 6?

Post Likes
    Last edited by davem; 10-22-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Must have posted before I was done editing...

Post Likes
    The JACE NXS has four USB ports...(and they actually work - I've used them with serial-port hubs to expand this particular model to 4 additional serial ports)
    (and I'm going to have to brush up on IP852 - I think I'm confused on its implementation - I thought it was LON-over-IP, and I don't know anything else about it...)

I haven't done any large LON jobs with a JACE-6 - the biggest I've done is 40 or so; but I have no doubt that Ninax or Chris W. have some examples of some larger jobs using a JACE 6 (or WEBS-600, or FX-60, or whichever brand they use). However, I do have 75 devices on an original model JACE-545, with the same RAM as the base 600, but with only 1/4 the flash memory of a 600.
    How the memory relates to how much stuff you can cram into a JACE is something I've never been able to put my finger on. It's really the processor that seems to impart the most horsepower to a JACE - the 600's 524Mhz PowerPC processor is smokin' compared to the 250Mhz RISC processor used on some of the older models; the 650Mhz Celeron in the NXS is why I like it so much.

Post Likes
    Thanks. It seems like you need Big JACE to consider handling IP852. However, if you are maxing out at 60 nodes than IP852 still doesn't help you because you cannot process data from a couple hundred nodes (or more) in a single JACE.

Typically I see a Neuron based FT-10 connection on a JACE. I had thought this was a bottleneck for data as you only get so many packets/second through it. Move to IP-852 connections and that changes dramatically. A competitor to Tridium utilizes Loytec IP852 NICS (which are capable of parallel processing up to 8 MNI's-- 8 LNS DB's) and you start to understand the capacity. This competitor's box also can also use multiple IP852 NIC's. The other nice thing about this is that they can use their protocol analyzer from their desk to view all channels on the network(s).
    Last edited by sysint; 10-22-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Post Likes
    Thanks. It seems like you need Big JACE to consider handling IP852. However, if you are maxing out at 60 nodes than IP852 still doesn't help you because you cannot process data from a couple hundred nodes (or more) in a single JACE.
    Really? /
    Wow, amazing what you can learn here. /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in