+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Stung

Post Likes

Talking

It ain't EPA approved but - - -
    take care of yellow jacket nests in the ground with half-a-cup of gasoline and a funnel. Ease up to the hole just about dark, drop the funnel in the hole, pour the gas in, and you're done! Nothing ever comes out.
    Dave E

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    Been seeing a new type around here this season - much longer and skinny.
    What the heck are those things?
    Are they bigger despite being skinny. I saw some a few years ago. they were coming up out of the ground. I have no clue what they were. They were not aggressive.

Ground dwelling yellow jackets are rare here. Ground dwelling bumble bees aren't. I used to love bush hogging on the farm. Never knew an old International diesel tractor could go that fast.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Post Likes
    Has anyone noticed yellow jackets seem to aim for you face and ears? The worst is roof top units that have been vacant or broke for a while. I started up 14 package units in a strip mall we had installed the spring before, just about all the inducer wheels were stuck, had to break them free and run, all were packed with yellow jackets. Pulled a "fireman" sliding down my extension ladder on the first big one i hit.

Post Likes
    Pulled the panel off an RTU last week and got hit 5 times on the wrist by red wasps before I could even move. Sore and swollen for 3 days.

Post Likes
    Think you are right about yellow jackets going for the face. I walked in
    a back yard to check a unit, and immediately a yellow jacket hit me
    in the face. Luckly I was wearing sun glases and the darn thing hit
    my glasses, then went to its nest. I keep a can of spray, and fixed
    the whole nest.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    Are they bigger despite being skinny. I saw some a few years ago. they were coming up out of the ground. I have no clue what they were. They were not aggressive.

Ground dwelling yellow jackets are rare here. Ground dwelling bumble bees aren't. I used to love bush hogging on the farm. Never knew an old International diesel tractor could go that fast.
    They were close to 2" long. The bodies were kinda thin. About the size you'd get gluing 2 hornets together in series. 2 of them were sitting side by side on the top of an AC when I arrived. They didn't come after me, and actually watched me for a while before flying away.

Post Likes
    I got stung on my forehead while riding my bicycle the day before my wedding. I had to use some of my wife's makeup to cover it up for the photos.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    They were close to 2" long. The bodies were kinda thin. About the size you'd get gluing 2 hornets together in series. 2 of them were sitting side by side on the top of an AC when I arrived. They didn't come after me, and actually watched me for a while before flying away.
    Weird, I am pretty sure what I saw were cicada killers. They nested in the loose dry sandy red clay at a job site I worked at several years ago. They were huge and looked like yellow jackets.

The worst wasp around here is the red wasp. Very aggressive. They post look outs that will attack if you get too close.

I was doing a pm on a Ruud unit, the one you pull the large "L" shaped panel off the back to access the compressor and controls. It had been a very warm Spring but a cold snap had bought the highs down to about 65* F. I pulled the panel and the entire available space was a mass of shimmering red and purple. It was the biggest red wasp nest I had ever seen, but it was too cold for them to attack. If it had been warmer I would have been toast.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Post Likes
    Here in Florida they grow everything big! Bees, wasps, mosquitoes, palmetto bugs. They make one hell of a sound as they commit suicide on your windshield, and don't even think about smiling if you're on a motorcycle. As for being stung. Only once by wasps when I was cutting my grass in my yard and I accidentally hit my fence with my riding lawn mover and disturbed their nest. I think it was payback for the windshield pizza.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler."

Post Likes
    When my brother was a kid, riding the bus to school, he stuck his head out the window, and a dozen or so hornets landed on his face and stung him. He was ALL MESSED UP. Lucky for him, that's the only thing in the world he wasn't allergic to.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=wgrr;7497092]Weird, I am pretty sure what I saw were cicada killers. They nested in the loose dry sandy red clay at a job site I worked at several years ago. They were huge and looked like yellow jackets.

The worst wasp around here is the red wasp. Very aggressive. They post look outs that will attack if you get too close.

I was doing a pm on a Ruud unit, the one you pull the large "L" shaped panel off the back to access the compressor and controls. It had been a very warm Spring but a cold snap had bought the highs down to about 65* F. I pulled the panel and the entire available space was a mass of shimmering red and purple. It was the biggest red wasp nest I had ever seen, but it was too cold for them to attack. If it had been warmer I would have been toast.[/QUOTE]

I'll be seeing that in my dreams/nightmares tonight. Thanks. I already can't get it out of my head.

Post Likes
    I'm sitting here hurting right now debating if I should go to the ER or not. Something hit me in the back right behind my heart about 100 yards from the house(I was in my work truck driving with my window down, do not know how something could get in between my seat and back and me not feel it) and unfortunately I'm one of those people that either swell for a bit and it goes down or I have a reaction to it, I hate frickin wasps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    recently a guy in my area was stung by a wasp in the lip and sadly died from the sting! it swole up and cut off circulation and couldnt breath

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in