Thread: Compressor and outside fan won't start

Post Likes

Compressor and outside fan won't start

I came home today to find a hot house. Checked the breakers and they are fine. Blower motor in attic blows fine, but no cold air. Had my wife click the thermostat on while I was next to compressor outside, and the fan did not turn on, but the compressor made a noise like it was trying to start but no luck.

I replaced the start capacitor about 6 years ago, not sure of brand, but it has 3 terminals...does that mean one for fan and one for compressor?

If the compressor tries to start, does that rule out the start capacitor?
    Is the outside fan supposed to run even if there is something wrong with the compressor, or will the compressor not kick in if there is something wrong with the outside fan?

The unit has been running fine all summer and even today, and we had it checked at the beginning of the summer and it was not low on freon.

Any help is much appreciated

Post Likes
    the fan should come on with the compressor. sounds like an electrical problem.

Post Likes

bad cap

your run cap is bad.three terminal cap is a dual cap.one terminal com,one herm"compressor",and one terminal fan.get a new dual cap and a hard start"spp6".that will get you chillin

Post Likes
    No diy.Just kick it.

Post Likes
    Does anyone know how to read.

Post Likes

yo

yes no DIY.......................COME ON GUYS.....JOB SECURITY JOB SECURITY

Post Likes
    Thanks...after reading a little more I thought the same...capacitor is bad and not starting fan or compressor

Post Likes
    Sorry, just remembered this is the website where you can't ask anything useful... meant to post to another site.

FYI I had the "professionals" look at it 6 years ago and was told I needed a whole new A/C unit for $6000+. What a joke. Glad I didn't listen then.

Thanks for the honest newbies being honest. Seems like HVAC "professionals" are no different than car repair guys, who I no longer visit either.

What is the point of this site? To rip people off?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the wizard View Post
    your run cap is bad.three terminal cap is a dual cap.one terminal com,one herm"compressor",and one terminal fan.get a new dual cap and a hard start"spp6".that will get you chillin
    Getting off to a bad start, on our first post, aren't we? Care to go into a little more detail?

Post Likes

Frown YO

HEY fsds what other site are talking about ???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fsds123 View Post
    Sorry, just remembered this is the website where you can't ask anything useful... meant to post to another site.

FYI I had the "professionals" look at it 6 years ago and was told I needed a whole new A/C unit for $6000+. What a joke. Glad I didn't listen then.

Thanks for the honest newbies being honest. Seems like HVAC "professionals" are no different than car repair guys, who I no longer visit either.

Nobody here has shown you any disrespect, please reciprocate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raidersfan7 View Post
    HEY fsds what other site are talking about ???
    Yea, post a link, see how long it lasts.

Post Likes

Then move on we have other fish in the sea to "rip off"
    Besides I will not be responsable for the death of a homeowner that wants to save a dollar.6 years ago you should have gotten another opinion.Any thing else we can help you with.

Post Likes
    He was fishing for the answe when he sais he replaced the cap 6 years ago and then asked what the terminals were.

He wanted us to basically tell him how to wire it with his question.

2 words. Bye, Bye
    Owner
    All-American Air Conditioning
    Vero Beach, Florida

Post Likes

Sorry, just remembered this is the website where you can't ask anything useful... meant to post to another site.What is the point of this site? To rip people off?
    if we gave you step by step instructions, it could end up being a bad thing!

the point is, we don't like it when "even a nice person like yourself" gets hurt fixxing something you don't understand!

Post Likes

We didn't make the rules here. If you've got a problem with that, take it up with the owners.

Post Likes
    fsds makes me happy I don't deal with cheapskate homeowners everyday. I truly feel for my HVACR commrades who deal with dummies like him eveyday, trying to make a living and MR. Know-it-all "can do it himself" and you are just there by his good graces.
    maybe a guy did try to rip him off. so what. More likely fsds is a jerk customer with junk equipment and the tech was tired of hearing his BS.

fsds get a life and get lost.

r404a

Post Likes
    this thread is a month old! did you get bored today 404?
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    some posts are never too old to hammer an idiot

r404a

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in