Thread: Perimeter vs interior air supply locations

Post Likes

Perimeter vs interior air supply locations

I'm in the process of getting bids to install a new HVAC system in my house. It is an old house with no ducting and only about 1200 square feet. I'm in Southern California and the house is west facing on top of a hill. I've gotten two very different opinions regarding placement of the supply registers.
    One contractor said the supply's should be located closer to the perimeter walls and nearer to doors and windows. Another contractor was very sure that the best location is away from the perimeter and closer to the interior walls.

Logic tells me that the perimeter locations will be more efficient.

Please advise....thanks for your time.

Great site.

Post Likes
    exterior walls.

The idea is to "wash" the outer walls and prevent the heat from transferring into the structure.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Southern Californian,

Perimeter is better (blanket the windows and doors).
    But interior location can work if properly installed: facing windows and doors with enough velocity and volume! (but it can't be done from the floor! Ceiling only).

Al

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    In a primarilary cooling climate ,I go intertior and wash the ceiling ,with the cool air "falling " down the walls and windows.

Northern climate you may need the perimeter grilles in the winter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    In a primarilary cooling climate ,I go intertior and wash the ceiling ,with the cool air "falling " down the walls and windows.

Northern climate you may need the perimeter grilles in the winter.
    Thanks for the replies...My situation is that most of registers will have to be in the floor. The main living room I have access to put registers high up in the wall close to the windows. The ceiling height is just under 8'.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    For the floor and your area,outside wall location.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in