+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What salary can I expect as an apprentice?

Post Likes

What salary can I expect as an apprentice?

I filled out an application yesterday and had NO clue what hourly wage to ask for. I figure I need $12 or close to it just to pay my basic bills (rent, electric, car stuff, food...). But I also don't want to be turned down for asking for too much especially since I have NO experience, but if I pass my EPA exam Monday, I'll at least have that under my belt. I live just north east of Philadelphia. Any pointers when I fill out more applications in what to ask for without seeming to be greedy or out in left field or under cutting my abilities?

Post Likes
    First off, they don't care "what you need". But count on getting a little more than minimum wage. Then you get to buy all your tools.

Post Likes
    my first job hired me at 13hr, but then again im in california, and it was a commercial and refrigeration company. 12 is not bad, after three months you should get another dollar or two. if there is any advice i can give you is to be very neat and organized with paperwork, if you have shiatty paperwork then you will get less work, just wait and see.

Post Likes
    Check out the union aprenticeship program. Starts at better than your looking for. http://lu420.org/apprenticeship.asp
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes
    You might be better under cutting yourself then coming off looking greedy. If you do start off low, just prove yourself by willing to help whatever and whenever, then ask the boss for more money. If they say no the atleast you got some exp out off it. Good luck

Post Likes
    I know this is hard for you guys to understand , but you cost a small fortune to train. You should think of it as you are getting paid to learn. Basically the employer is paying for your college education, you need to look at it like what's in it for them, there are no other industries, companies or jobs that pay for basic education..........period........

Now that being said we need hard working intelligent young men and women to learn this trade, but from our perspective we are paying you to learn a trade that pays well today and will continue to in the future. You are an investment if we think you will stay and make the company money, {Which doesn't happen until 5 plus years}.

If you think you re making us money, not knowing anything and just doing manual labor, hell we can hire Emanuel for less money and get rid of him and hire his little brother in a couple of years....Figure it out......!

The EPA don't mean sheeit to an employer at your level. What you need to make doesn't factor into it at all as far as we're concerned.

If you show up and work [ and you're not an *******] you will never be out of work. You will always make a good living.

If you want to get rich play the lottery.

You're worth between 10 and 12 dollars an hours to start in this area, if you are drug free, responsible and show up everyday can read and are willing to educate yourself, maybe a little more but you'd have to prove that first.

Maybe We should talk, If I can and you deserve it I'll do what I can to help. We are located in E. Mont. Co............

Abs is right but 420 will not take new apprentices unless you have a sponsor, another words chances are slim for you getting into local 420..........I know alot of contractors in this area both union and non union...........lets just see where the conversation goes for a couple a days first.

7. Likes armandomartinez liked this post.
    Post Likes
    8 to 12 private, maybe 15.

8 to 18 union.

i used to ask for 12, then tell the employer i'm more interested in experience then wages, usually they already know what they are going to pay a new tech.

my first job i started off as a full tech, earning $36 per call doing home warranty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    8 to 12 private, maybe 15.

8 to 18 union.

i used to ask for 12, then tell the employer i'm more interested in experience then wages, usually they already know what they are going to pay a new tech.

my first job i started off as a full tech, earning $36 per call doing home warranty.
    hehehehe home warranty.......Right........ home warranty......hehe

did you pay your own insurance and taxes out of that to.......

Post Likes
    huh?

my first job i worked for a company that did home warrany repairs for American Home Shield.

i got $36 per call no matter what the problem was, ...even compressors.
    seemed like 30% of calls were bad compressors.
    when i was leaving they changed it to $200 for compressors.

the goal was to do 5 calls per day, but the reality was different.

i lost too much time playing mother-may-i with AHS,
    a call back or two
    then company started making me go the store for every part,
    and i was slow because i was new,

i got a check for $190 for 60 hours of work, and they lined up 3 or 4 compressor jobs,

so i walked off the job after 8 months.

...great experience though, nothing beats getting tossed right in.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I think first year apprentices make about 16-17 per hour here in D.C.

Not sure about helpers.

-JB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post

Not sure about helpers.

-JB
    I noticed that you are in D.C. Are you 602 ? What company do you work for ?

Post Likes

Beginning Salary

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    First off, they don't care "what you need". But count on getting a little more than minimum wage. Then you get to buy all your tools.
    YEAH THAT IS ABOUT RIGHT!
    UNLESS YOU ARE UNION.

THIS TRADE THE PAYBACKS TAKE A WHILE.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes

I Started The Same Way

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    huh?

my first job i worked for a company that did home warrany repairs for American Home Shield.

i got $36 per call no matter what the problem was, ...even compressors.
    seemed like 30% of calls were bad compressors.
    when i was leaving they changed it to $200 for compressors.

the goal was to do 5 calls per day, but the reality was different.

i lost too much time playing mother-may-i with AHS,
    a call back or two
    then company started making me go the store for every part,
    and i was slow because i was new,

i got a check for $190 for 60 hours of work, and they lined up 3 or 4 compressor jobs,

so i walked off the job after 8 months.

...great experience though, nothing beats getting tossed right in.
    $32.00 PER CALL

USED TO WORK 12 - 16 HOURS A DAY 6 DAYS A WEEK

TRIED TO RUN 8-10 CALLS A DAY.
    MY GOAL WAS $300 PER DAY 6 DAYS BUT I LIKED TO TRY FOR $2,000 A WEEK
    BOUGHT MY FIRST HOUSE AND RENTAL PROPERTY IN SAN FRANCISCO
    ON WAGES FROM THAT JOB.
    SOME CUSTOMERS GOT SOME PRETTY CR@PPY WORK!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    just taking a quick look roscoe moust be an owner or something like that going on how much it cost to train.

Don't go in selling your self short because you are going to get trained you will be disappointed.

You are going to be a slave and companies are going to bill you out and make money. Get what you need to live of go somewhere else, life is too short to suffer for someone else!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    just taking a quick look roscoe moust be an owner or something like that going on how much it cost to train.

Don't go in selling your self short because you are going to get trained you will be disappointed.

You are going to be a slave and companies are going to bill you out and make money. Get what you need to live of go somewhere else, life is too short to suffer for someone else!!!!!!!!

Slave..slave?

Real nice attitude sport.

Post Likes
    Yep and it works

How many companies are not billling out their apprentices???

Not too many.

This site and life is full of guys that bust theirs butts for the companies and then when it slows down they are laid off. I have heard it a thousand times " I worked so hard and I thought they appreciated it " well the man does as he fills his pockets.

Take care of yourself because no one else will.

One last thing when you are swallowing pride if you have to wipe your chin it might not have been pride.

Post Likes
    I started in this trade @ 8.50/hr. about 6 years ago.

Making better than three times that now with 100% benefits paid.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    Yep and it works

How many companies are not billling out their apprentices???

Not too many.

This site and life is full of guys that bust theirs butts for the companies and then when it slows down they are laid off. I have heard it a thousand times " I worked so hard and I thought they appreciated it " well the man does as he fills his pockets.

Take care of yourself because no one else will.

One last thing when you are swallowing pride if you have to wipe your chin it might not have been pride.
    And you would know this from first hand experience.

quote coolestacman:
    From: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=149379
    I'm looking for only the best
    Well it is a new year, i still am working with lots of work ahead. I looked at my T4 and I made $109,000.00. Better yet I am 36 and have $172,000.00 in my pension.
    This is kind of like profit sharing, only I know I have my share of the profit.

I just can't wait until my UNION pension is at $6.00 an hour, I believe I have found the meaning of retirement while I can still enjoy life.
    slavery huh.! those knee pads are working for you then.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 01-07-2008 at 06:37 AM.

21. Likes travisbellamy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post

Not sure about helpers.

-JB
    you are right

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in