+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Chiller Teardown & Rebuild

Post Likes
    Name:  237.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  40.1 KB
    And here's the view just outside the chiller plant door
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Hey Rob can you describe the "air run" with the suction elbow off that you mentioned in your other tear down thread? For those of us who dont know.

Im assuming it is not to check rotation.

Post Likes
    Sure! An "air run" is when you start the chiller while it is still disassembled to do a balance check and make sure none of the parts interfere with one another once the shaft starts spinning. The process only takes a few minutes. Most chillers have some safeties that need to be defeated before you can do this.

If you replace any part of the rotating assembly like the motor or impellers, you will need to have it balanced. Typically, if you re-use all of these parts, nothing needs to be changed as far as balance is concerned. It still must be checked, though. It's better to find out while it's all still disassembled, than to find out after it's re-assembled, evacuated, and charged.

Post Likes
    I gotcha. That makes sense.

So you are discharging atmosphere into the condenser? What happens to the motor current during the procedure?

Do you allow it to come up to speed or just bump the starter?

I would assume one wouldnt do this on a McQuay.

That would be scarier than Halloween!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Name:  237.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  40.1 KB
    And here's the view just outside the chiller plant door
    Tampa?

Niiiiiice.

Post Likes
    Awsome pics. Love the work you do. Especially love the way you talk us through each pic. Thank you for sharing.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    So you are discharging atmosphere into the condenser? What happens to the motor current during the procedure?

Yes. Motor current is only a little higher than the bare minimum it takes to spin the rotor. You're just moving air around with no head pressure.

Do you allow it to come up to speed or just bump the starter?

Full speed in delta, preferably

I would assume one wouldnt do this on a McQuay.

I don't see why not. I'll let you know when I try it. The impeller is no less destructive when it hits with the elbow on???

That would be scarier than Halloween!

Serious pucker factor there, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Tampa?

I don't know how you could tell from a picture of some boats and generic condo buildings??? You must know the area pretty well, huh?

Niiiiiice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Awsome pics. Love the work you do. Especially love the way you talk us through each pic. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, sir.

Post Likes
    This is the end of the oil pump that is directly coupled to the motor. Oil comes in through the top port and is discharged through the copper line attached to the bottom port.

Y the tube in the copper?
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Nice job. I bet you would make a great instructor.

Post Likes
    Lol !!! HE IS-- to thousands -- hehe

Post Likes
    Rob a while back we had a conversation and I remember something about you relocating to the Tampa area. Haha I'm not that good. But a Floridian can tell its definitely Florida.

Why not air run the McQuay.... Loose papers within 25 yards beware! No really a 126 unit 1,000 tonner would have a 12.6 inch wheel running at about 12,500 rpm after transition. The intake velocity might be extreme there for a minute and quite loud and dangerous. These units have expansion valves so the condenser would fill up almost immediately and the compressor would probably surge itself to pieces. Plus the chiller would be contaminated with air and moisture. Not as big of a deal with a low pressure Trane I'm sure.

Post Likes
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Post Likes
    I just want to point out to some of the people viewing this Open Forum that Rob is being kind to share his experiences with us, and his purpose is not to educate, or train, to the point of anyone being qualified to perform this work (at least, I believe so). I especially am concerned with the folks who may be watching, but not participating in the discussion. There, I feel better now. Carry on. Oh, and I agree completely with the comment about making a great instructor.
    Last edited by Nuclrchiller; 11-02-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: clarify statement.

Post Likes
    It is a great (privilege) that this is on the web and that my pimp daddy ROBO ROB is sharing the critical tear down ,.
    Thx rob and nu chiller

Grab ur balls and jump in if u dare.,
    Just remember, if one does so and things go south, it is a feeling that will prob linger for while. Scary ****zsz

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I just want to point out to some of the people viewing this Open Forum that Rob is being kind to share his experiences with us, and his purpose is not to educate, or train, to the point of anyone being qualified to perform this work (at least, I believe so). I especially am concerned with the folks who may be watching, but not participating in the discussion. There, I feel better now. Carry on. Oh, and I agree completely with the comment about making a great instructor.
    WHAT?! I was already on step four

Post Likes
    I agree. Rob took extra time and effort on pictures and text for us! What a great guy, and a great air cond man.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    WHAT?! I was already on step four
    That's a good one, 'shaker.

Post Likes
    You need to copyright this thread fast!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    It is a great (privilege) that this is on the web and that my pimp daddy ROBO ROB is sharing the critical tear down ,.
    Thx rob and nu chiller

Grab ur balls and jump in if u dare.,
    Just remember, if one does so and things go south, it is a feeling that will prob linger for while. Scary ****zsz
    Well,... you're welcome milkyway, but this is all Rob. "Grab ur balls"? OK, now I'm really concerned...

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot for the comments, guys. I appreciate it.

AiResearch, as far as the hypothetical McQuay air-run goes, I will leave that one alone for now lol

Socotech, I do occasionally teach some classes for work now, although I would not call myself a seasoned instructor. I have a great deal of social anxiety and it's difficult for me to get up in front of people and be the center of attention and be the answer man. It never gets any easier for me, either... I guess I keep volunteering for it because I am a nerd and I do love to talk shop and share experiences with people who do the same stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in