+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wifi thermostat

Post Likes

wifi thermostat

What are your thoughts on smartphone controled thermostats? Sounds interesting to me. I know they are availabe but I haven't had any experience with one yet.

Post Likes
    I love my ecobee thermostat!!

Post Likes
    The Honeywell product is pretty sweet, but you have to have to also install the redlink EIM to Connect to. It's free for the customer to use and pretty cheap to buy too.
    I've put a few in, no issues yet....

Post Likes
    installed our first Lennox i comfort stat last week, customer was very happy with it.

i must have screwed something up on the installer setup though since i can't access it from Davenet.......

Post Likes
    Not many customers care for such a thing. I have installed a handful of the Redlink units. I just did a heat pump/zoning system for a customer who had a "control 4" system installed for his boiler. The Control 4 HVAC thermostats are almost as atrocious as the Mitsubishi thermostats... Steer clear of that brand
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    A few people have seen them as very interesting, but find parting with the extra $ usually not worth it. I have a guy who travels a lot and likes the ability to remotely control the residence from his phone. Especially cranking up the AC when he reaches the airport on the way home.

Post Likes
    I like my Ecobee thermostat, but the "cool factor" of being able to control it from my phone wore off pretty fast.

Most people loose interest when they find out the cost.

Post Likes
    I just put 2 Ecobee's in my rental house. Nice to have charts showing how the house is behaving. I'm hoping to optimize differential temperatures to the largest delta the tenants will accept. Furnaces are grossly oversized.

Pretty slick stats.

Post Likes
    I'm beginning to hate my Ecobee thermostat.
    It is purely temperature differential driven, no algorithms or logic to its cycling of the system or stages to maintain the setpoint.

Honeywell's P+I control is sooooo much better...

Post Likes
    I installed and watch over 98 ecobee stats in a building all on water source heatpumps i do like having the stats helps with checking operation and trouble shooting in some situations since everything is record online at there website i haven't had many problems with the operation of them nor keeping them connected to wifi also customer service I'd awsome if you have any problems they're always there to walk you through it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    Not many customers care for such a thing. I have installed a handful of the Redlink units. I just did a heat pump/zoning system for a customer who had a "control 4" system installed for his boiler. The Control 4 HVAC thermostats are almost as atrocious as the Mitsubishi thermostats... Steer clear of that brand
    I'm sorry to say that i do no like Honeywell thermostat myself either. The quality seems to have dropped greatly.... The Carrier Infinity Control has been my favorite over the past few years. I just like being able to have the customer check the fault logs and sometimes repair the problems over the phones which makes some customer very greatful and can help build great relationships with them because you don't act like you are after their money but are more concerned about keeping them comfortable and up and running even if you might have to come out at a later date. Education of the customer is key for those are interested in learning about their systems.

Post Likes
    I just put the Honeywell prestige iaq with redlink in my house. It's great so far. Delta T sensors with programmable alerts, 4h4c, humidity, dehu, outdoor temp, everything you could ask for. And only two wires (with a controller board on the ahu).

Pretty neat I can change the settings from my iPad in bed, or change any common setting from anywhere I have Internet access through the Honeywell website. I love tech toys. Especially useful ones.

Post Likes
    Nytefog, communicating equipment is a whole nother level.

Mark, I believe you can set smart recovery. Can also set delta to manage staging. Seems the thing gets as close to communicating as you could expect from non-communicating stat.

Like totalhcgeo, I like being able to see history. Also, as these are in rentals, controlling temp is big. No setting to 80 and opening windows.

Post Likes
    The Lennox i comfort is very nice and will soon be able to be used with any brand and non communicating systems

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I like my Ecobee thermostat, but the "cool factor" of being able to control it from
    my phone wore off pretty fast.
    Most people loose interest when they find out the cost.
    I agree with you. We have installed many comfort link t-stats and some comfort linkII stats. Customers uses for a few months then the new goes away.

Then when it is time to start to pay for it most don't renew. It is a great tool if someone travels or has camp house so they can see what the there systems are doing or adjust before getting home or to there camp.

I had a demo in my home and just like most customers i used and then didn't really see the need after a few months .

Post Likes
    Control, to me, is a secondary advantage.

The reporting is primary. Looking at the chart (ecobee) you can see how the house behaves under varying conditions, and how the house behaves when the equipment operates.

You can see and manage deadband, play with setback and see if there is benefit, keep an eye on humidity. Understand conditions equipment saw before failure. I'm just beginning to see these opportunities, I'm sure more will present themselves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    I had a horrific experience with "Control 4". I was using dual fuel with a ground source GEO heat pump and 2 stg. gas furnace.

Post Likes
    Try this www.nest.com

Name:  gallery9.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  32.1 KB

Post Likes
    I've installed the new Carrier touch infinity control and the Trane XL950. They are both good thermostats. The wifi was easy to setup. Carrier's is free and Trane's just became free if your are only controling the HVAC. With Trane (and Schlage-link), you have the ability to control alarm systems, door locks, blinds, lights, all remotely thru wifi....but they do charge for that.

I personally think the user control is the 1st priority. A thermostat can have a million features but if it is too complicated for the homeowner...then it worthless. I service a light commercial account that has several Ecobee's. I like the tracking but the customer hates them due to a complicated user interface.

Post Likes
    Brent, does carrier or Trane do charting like ecobee?

I put 2 ecobees in my rental and am learning a LOT from the "home hq" time line charts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in