Thread: Replacing an old unit.

Post Likes

Replacing an old unit.

I have an old Rheem (1992) that needs replacing as the electric bill has gone up and the cooling ability has gone down. My house is about 1100 sqft and I live in SW Georgia.

We currently have two estimates for 2.5 ton RUUD heat pumps and both are within $$$. My main question is about the RUUD brand. What is the overall performance for the RUUD systems. I have done a little research and it seems they are on down the list as to satisfaction. One is written and the other was just an over the phone estimate and they will be coming Monday to give us a final estimate. Estimates were in the $$$$ range. That is with a $$$ rebate RUUD is running this month.

The written estimate is for a:
    RUUD 2.5 ton package heat pump, electrical connections, disconnect, duct modifications, and digital thermostat.

Warranty: 10 year compressor
    10 year parts
    1 year labor

Does this sound right or is something missing? Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-17-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: pricing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dhughes View Post
    My main question is about the RUUD brand. What is the overall performance for the RUUD systems. I have done a little research and it seems they are on down the list as to satisfaction..
    Must be looking at reviews on a competitors website, might want to check here.
    http://www.ruud.com/about/awards/
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I agree with Mr Bill, competitors website not a good place to look at reviews.

The company I work for only installs rheem / rudd products. I have a ruud product in my home, put two in my parents home.

I believe in the the rheem / ruud product line, and believe it's a great product.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    Nothing wrong with ruud except they're a bit of a pain to clean. Not nearly as bad as a stinkin trane though

Post Likes
    The Mods are going to have a fit over your prices, no pricing here.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    The Mods are going to have a fit over your prices, no pricing here.
    My apologies I missed that one. Would edit post but can't tell if there is a way to on this forum.

Thanks for the posts. Actually the ratings were on a couple of non-related websites.

How important is the SEER rating on these units? From what I read a higher SEER is more important the farther south you go. I don't know what these unit I was quoted rating is, but is there much difference between say a 13 and a 15 rating and would the energy cost savings be worth going with a unit with a higher SEER rating?

Any suggestions of other questions I should ask? Thanks again for the help.

Post Likes
    From what I read a higher SEER is more important the farther south you go..
    I am a Houston contractor, and the highest seer system we will sell a customer "unless they twist our arm" is the Ruud 14.5 seer, they work great here and are moderately priced and perform very well in this climate. In 15 years of being a Ruud dealer, I have not had one customer complain about the Ruud product period.

Post Likes
    Hate to comment on price but it must be a 13 seer builder line at that install price. If you are planning on staying in the home for a while then yes seer matters. Of course any new unit will be an improvement in seer over what you have now. Seer is like MPG in a car the higher the seer the more efficient. Quality installation will matter more than which brand you have IMO

Post Likes
    Did they give you a model number with the quote?

For that price it could be the value line, the Premium line is not that much more, maybe just a few hundred, and is worth the few extra dollars in my opinion.

I agree that the 14.5 seer units are the way to go, it will be a much better unit.

Post Likes
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I figured it was probably a 13 SEER. My wife was here today and I was at work. I will contact them Monday and find out which they quoted and get a quote on the a 14.5 unit just to see.

Is the value line still a quality product though?

Post Likes
    Yes it is.

Post Likes
    Value line Model numbers are : 15PJL, 14PJM, 13PJL.

What I like is the UPQL-JAZ. It is a great system

Post Likes
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I figured it was probably a 13 SEER. My wife was here today and I was at work. I will contact them Monday and find out which they quoted and get a quote on the a 14.5 unit just to see.

Is the value line still a quality product though?
    The AJM is the value line, the UAPM is the top of the line, pressure switches, etc. and also a 5-year complete condenser replacement warranty above and beyond the 10 year parts, when installed with the Ruud coil, and you will need to take 5 minutes and register online. We don't sell many if any HP in Houston, so I can't relate to Ruud's HP numbers, the ones I gave you were straight cool.

Post Likes
    I find the ruud / rheem to be a solid unit

Post Likes
    ya got 20 years from the old reem/ruud, a new one sound wise to me. however, if it's running, but not cooling, a quality service call could get you another 4 years from the system, and allow you to save up for the premium system. it's amazing what cleaning, and sealing up an older a/c will do.
    you may also have building envelope problems that have increased the load on your house itself... you may want to consult an energy audit to evaluate the home. cracks in the ceiling, along with poor attic ventilation will MASSIVELY affect the cooling abilities of any a/c system.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in