+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furnace filter replacement question

Post Likes

Furnace filter replacement question

I have two furnaces, one in the basement and the other in the attic. They required one of those that measure 4-5 inches in width.

Is it ok for me to replace one with the 4-5 cheap ones like this every 1-2 months?

Post Likes
    i dont c why not. they will work, but they will not catch the smaller particles like the media filter.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't do it if it were my system. Assuming that the pressure drop (airflow restriction) of stacking 4 or 5 of those is the sum of the pressure drop of each individual filter, the resulting airflow would be so restricted that you risk damaging the equipment.

Post Likes
    Why do you want to use something that isn't made to fit? Much easier to use the correct filter and not have to worry about it.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    The 4 and 5" media filters have a lot more surface area, then what those blue fiberglass ones do.
    So the media will have a lower pressure drop, and be easier on your equipment.

Post Likes
    you can go to the cheap filters, and pay what you save when it comes time to tear your whole system apart to clean coils every yr. saving a few bucks a yr may cost you thousands to repair the system all because you let all the dirt through to your coils. Take your media filter out of the cabinet and tip it sideways... take a salt shaker and shake salt into the filter. Now take one of those blue filters tip it on it's side and shake salt onto... err... THROUGH! that filter, see how much it catches. Not a filter! Just a chunk stopper.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    That blue 79 cent filter is the cheapest thing ever made.
    Doing something like increases the risk it will get sucked into the blower motor.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    you can go to the cheap filters, and pay what you save when it comes time to tear your whole system apart to clean coils every yr. saving a few bucks a yr may cost you thousands to repair the system all because you let all the dirt through to your coils. Take your media filter out of the cabinet and tip it sideways... take a salt shaker and shake salt into the filter. Now take one of those blue filters tip it on it's side and shake salt onto... err... THROUGH! that filter, see how much it catches. Not a filter! Just a chunk stopper.
    I thought the standard fiberglass filters were made specifcally for protecting the equipment, not filtering the air. Wouldn't they be enough to protect the coil from dirt? If not, what can someone who has no choice but to use a 1" filter (like me) use to adequately protect the system and yet still maintain adequate airflow?

Post Likes
    Use the cheap general pleated air filter.

Post Likes
    Get the right media filter, they last 6-9 months.
    Whats the problem anyway?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Get the right media filter, they last 6-9 months.
    Whats the problem anyway?
    Sound advice.

Those little blue filters let everything through anyway.

Aside from the cost, is there a reason that you do not want to use the correct filter in your unit?

Post Likes
    From the day you install any air filter, the efficiency increases.

True!

Right to the point it becomes 100% efficient and won't let anything through... including air!
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in