Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Start Kit vs New Compressor

Post Likes
    Now that he mentions it.
    It could be an improper wire splice causing the start trouble.

Post Likes

no need to respond

Guys I'm not trying to get everyone all worked up or second guess your professional advice....again just trying to learn what I'm up against....if anything the first post on this thread scared me. I think the heart of the matter is what caused the compressor to require more torque for starting considering the only thing that really changed was time and age. It's probably more trouble and cost to determine this than to just throw the hard start on it and walk away. I doubt the electrical think has anything to do with it - every fall I disconnect the power at the unit to avoid an accidental start up at 50 below. Pretty sure I did this now after giving it some thought. Again thanks for your professional advice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    A question for you; who are the professionals and who is not here?

You have been given correct information by several professionals on this forum, why are you arguing? Start components are not bandaids, they are a common part used in many compressor bearing systems.

The incident with cutting the power line most certainly could have caused the initial lock up of the compressor if the line was not cut all at once or if only one leg of the electrical was cut.

No matter the reason, your system has been properly repaired using proper industry parts and standards. There is no reason your system should not give you years of comfort service now that the problem with it has been remedied.
    All true but,you're not telling him what he want's to hear.

Post Likes

Thank you Beenthere

What do I want to hear dangler....? I think the wire splice might actually be something to check out. So everything comes full circle back to me or my electrician.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuberty View Post
    .if anything the first post on this thread scared me.
    The first response shows a lack of experience with start kits. Not to insult him. But he is incorrect.

EG: Semi friend of mine. A/C installed by others.(they were cheaper). After running for 6 years. Comp doesn't start. Installed hard start, that was 10 years ago. Same compressor still running strong today.

Post Likes
    What do I want to hear dangler....? I think the wire splice might actually be something to check out. So everything comes full circle back to me or my electrician.
    I can't say for sure but,it appears you're looking to "blame" someone for what happened. There isn't anyone or thing to place the 'blame" on. These things happen (tight compressors) every day of the week.So,kick back and enjoy the cool air.Sometimes you have to put a start kit on a spanking new unit because of the type of expansion valve for one example. And there's other reasons that I don't want to go into at this time.

Post Likes
    When you disconnect your system from power in the fall do you have the power turned on at least 24 hours before you turn the A/C on? Just asking as I think that Armstrong uses the capaciter in the off cycle as a crankcase heater of sorts and if power was not on for 24 hours then the unit could have had trouble starting up and locked itself. Just a thought.

I also agree that if the compressor is changed the manufacturer may check it and determine that it is OK and charge the dealer for it. A hard start is an assessory that is availiable with most units new or old from the manufacturer. They are needed many times for voltage variances. I would thing that if one was added and the system is working properly you shaoul be just fine. I also understand your concerns but this is when you need to rely on your contractor to do the right thing for you. If you don't trust there advise then I would try a different contractor.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    When you disconnect your system from power in the fall do you have the power turned on at least 24 hours before you turn the A/C on? Just asking as I think that Armstrong uses the capaciter in the off cycle as a crankcase heater of sorts and if power was not on for 24 hours then the unit could have had trouble starting up and locked itself. Just a thought.
    My exact first thought when I read that as well. There may very well be something that got the proverbial ball rolling for this compressor to now require hard start components. Then again, if there is no electrical issue from the electrical supplier and there are no problems with the electrical circuit to the outdoor unit, the hard start capacitor could very well be able to be taken off and the compressor never have a problem again. The question is; why would you do that? Start components have been "removed" from outdoor units as a standard item due to cost restrictions. All that has been done here is that an eliminated component has been put back into the system.

Post Likes

Thought

How about this thought....The original cut (short) of the power line was stopped at the main circuit board so I doubt that had anything to do with the issue. However, the electrician fixed the problem (in the Spring before the AC was turned on), he then flipped the outside power on to check his work, tried to start the unit, the unit came on and he walked away (fan only). The compressor never had the 24 hours to heat properly and locked going forward. If I recall this time around I wondered why the outside power was already on when I checked this Spring...the electrician probably turned it on to check his work. Sound logical or would the second start attempt in June properly warm the unit anyway?

Post Likes
    too much speculation.
    Many A/Cs are started without a 24 hour warm up with no adverse effects.

Post Likes
    you have to admit it's creative thinking for a novice........I think based on what I'm hearing we will run as is. See how things go through next spring before the warranty truly evaporates and hope for the best from there. My next task is to sell the other half....you guys know how fun that can be! Thanks for all the information and advice.

Post Likes
    Now that's behind you,watch out for ants in the contactor.

Post Likes
    My opinion is if I pull up to a job and I have to add a booster with the unit still under warranty I will replace it and the supplier we use ask little to no questions.However the units we deal with all have scroll compressors in them.

Theory is a booster should never have to be added to a scroll only recip.
    If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post

Some units with a scroll, come from the factory with one.

Post Likes
    My opinion is if I pull up to a job and I have to add a booster with the unit still under warranty I will replace it and the supplier we use ask little to no questions.However the units we deal with all have scroll compressors in them.

Some scrolls come from the factory with a start kit.

4 and 5 ton scrolls take a lot to get off LRA, a start kit helps, and can extend their life span also.

Post Likes
    I stand corrected.I have just never seen them with boosters.I have put them on scrolls before to get someone by so I know it works.

Post Likes
    you have to admit it's creative thinking for a novice........I think based on what I'm hearing we will run as is. See how things go through next spring before the warranty truly evaporates and hope for the best from there. My next task is to sell the other half....you guys know how fun that can be! Thanks for all the information and advice.
    Creative; yes. But you are reminding me way too much of my wife who will just continue to ask question after question until I yell at her; OK! I don't know.....OK? Then she sulks and I feel bad
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

Just because start components are needed is not an indication that something is wrong with the compressor. Applicable conditions are usually the reason for the need for start components. General low voltage, brown outs, voltage spikes, ground lightning or just normal wear of the compressor are common reasons for using start components.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Just because start components are needed is not an indication that something is wrong with the compressor. Applicable conditions are usually the reason for the need for start components. General low voltage, brown outs, voltage spikes, ground lightning or just normal wear of the compressor are common reasons for using start components.
    I understand all that you said but at a school I went to had a copeland technical advisor there and he told us never to put a booster on a scroll but apparently I was mislead or something changed.Maybe it was being lazy on my part for not doing research on it.Now I will.Thanks

Post Likes
    I understand all that you said but at a school I went to had a copeland technical advisor there and he told us never to put a booster on a scroll but apparently I was mislead or something changed.Maybe it was being lazy on my part for not doing research on it.Now I will.Thanks
    I don't think it was being lazy on your part,you were mis -informed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in