+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True MFG Reach in beverage box

Post Likes

True MFG Reach in beverage box

I have been working on a chest type True MFG beverage unit with R134A and an initial clogged condenser. Ran it all day and it maintained 35 to 40 degrees cycling on and off for 8 hours. They brought it back after a few days and said it quit cooling and had ice around the suction line right where the temp probe comes in. Today I sweated on two ports and my pressures are running about 4#'s up on the low and around 100#'s on the high. Today it cycles on and off and maintains the same temps as original. I left it running tonight to check it in the morning. I figure it is either an air flow problem, or a refrigerant problem. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    You need to leak check it. SH and SC readings would be helpfull
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    It's broke!!!

Post Likes
    It may be something as the t-stat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo57 View Post
    I have been working on a chest type True MFG beverage unit with R134A and an initial clogged condenser. Ran it all day and it maintained 35 to 40 degrees cycling on and off for 8 hours. They brought it back after a few days and said it quit cooling and had ice around the suction line right where the temp probe comes in. Today I sweated on two ports and my pressures are running about 4#'s up on the low and around 100#'s on the high. Today it cycles on and off and maintains the same temps as original. I left it running tonight to check it in the morning. I figure it is either an air flow problem, or a refrigerant problem. Any ideas?
    My GUESS; Restriction on liquid line or under charge.
    Where is the rest of the data?
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Post Likes
    Leaker!!

Post Likes
    Agree that with the limited data, it sounds like a low refrigerant condition or a partial restriction on the liquid line, might have some of that POE oil gurgling up into the cap tubes... Most of these units use a poor quality spun copper drier, and are prone to leak around the brazing done by the the final installers.

Once you find the leak and repair, would recommend you replace the spun drier with a Sporlan 032 or 052 with the HH core depending on size, remember that you'll add an ounce or so to the charge listed on the plate. If your ambients are around room temp, and your condenser is clean, with a proper charge, I would think you would want to see ten pounds more than you have now on the low side with that box at 40F.

Post Likes
    If you hooked gauges and 5' hoses up on existing charge you now have a charge problem. Could be cold control hanging up and freezing coil. Could be bad gaskets allowing infiltration and freezing coil. Could be dirty evap freezing coil. Once coil is iced over box temp will rise. If you haven't already, pull charge evacuate and weigh factory charge in allowing for your hoses. 2-3 oz is a lot on these little things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    If you hooked gauges and 5' hoses up on existing charge you now have a charge problem. Could be cold control hanging up and freezing coil. Could be bad gaskets allowing infiltration and freezing coil. Could be dirty evap freezing coil. Once coil is iced over box temp will rise. If you haven't already, pull charge evacuate and weigh factory charge in allowing for your hoses. 2-3 oz is a lot on these little things.
    Very common on True boxes is temp control cycling erraticaly due to improper charge or restriction. I've seen more than once an empty box will cycle fine under these conditions but as soon as you put a load on it, it will cycle high. I have rarely seen these controls fail closed. Freeze ups are more often caused from the copper sleeve that the t stat cap tube fits it becomes detached from the coil. I agree, any time you put guages on, you may need to adjust charge for the loss.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Very common on True boxes is temp control cycling erraticaly due to improper charge or restriction. I've seen more than once an empty box will cycle fine under these conditions but as soon as you put a load on it, it will cycle high. I have rarely seen these controls fail closed. Freeze ups are more often caused from the copper sleeve that the t stat cap tube fits it becomes detached from the coil. I agree, any time you put guages on, you may need to adjust charge for the loss.
    Yep. I'd rather condemn the whole dang unit then change some of those cold controls, beer boxes especially. They build the inside of them with razor blades to ensure some blood loss during repair.

Post Likes
    Am I missing something? How did you sweat in two ports without bleeding, evacuating & recharging to spec? Wasn't this a closed system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Am I missing something? How did you sweat in two ports without bleeding, evacuating & recharging to spec? Wasn't this a closed system?
    Pinch off tool.... Or saddle braze on fittings with some goggles.

Post Likes
    1/4 inch saddle valves sweated in, they pierce when you put in core assembly with seal and tighten down cap. No loss and very tidy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in