Thread: sub cooling and super heat

Post Likes

Hmm sub cooling and super heat

How do you check sub cooling and super heat? Dumb question I know but I am new in the field. I am just a parts runner right now. I am starting school next month.
    Last edited by shaith52; 06-20-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Post Likes
    what school did you go to? Must notta been a very good one.

j/k

you gotta get your post count up and apply for pro membership. Then we can help you on the flip side
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    The questions you are asking make it sound like you are still in school and getting ready to take a test.
    Are you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The questions you are asking make it sound like you are still in school and getting ready to take a test.
    Are you?
    duh

why didn't I think of that?

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Kind of makes you wander what they are teaching in these schools... Don't know how to get a superheat or subcool reading... It's not really hard to do... if you are not in school and are in the field... Why not just ask a co-worker... If you are fresh out of school they will not think you are dumb for asking... Better to go on a call well informed than ill informed...

Post Likes
    Funny how some of these "members" jump at the chance to insult. I believe the gentleman said he was about to start school. You can get a charging chart from your local parts house that gives you step-by-step instructions for super heat and sub-cooling, providing you have the instruments to abtain the pressures and temps required.Just make sure you practice on your own system, not your mother-in-laws.

Post Likes
    Come on guy's, have a heart!

With a set of guages and a temperature probe. The difference between the refrigerant temp and the line temp is your super and sub.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman View Post
    Funny how some of these "members" jump at the chance to insult. I believe the gentleman said he was about to start school.
    He edited his post after they posted.

Post Likes
    Funny how some of these "members" jump at the chance to insult. I believe the gentleman said he was about to start school. You can get a charging chart from your local parts house that gives you step-by-step instructions for super heat and sub-cooling, providing you have the instruments to abtain the pressures and temps required.Just make sure you practice on your own system, not your mother-in-laws.

Well you know captain... After being locked in attics all day long... We have to find a way to vent off some steam... :P Just skimmed over what he posted... Since he is about to start school... They should teach him how to do it...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaith52 View Post
    How do you check sub cooling and super heat? Dumb question I know but I am new in the field. I am just a parts runner right now. I am starting school next month.
    Very simple.

SH is how much liquid is feeding the evaporator in relation to how fast it is being boiled off. Soo you know suction pressure ( evaporating temperature ). Now subtract from tubing temp and you got SH.

SC measures difference liquid line temperature and condensing saturation temperature. This time use head pressure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    He edited his post after they posted.
    he sure did.

Back to OP.....

you got a great tool here. And a major advantage over your future classmates with all the great knowledge that floods this site.

You can post or email us any chance you get. We will be more than happy to help you out and get you going. I would still recommend trying to get professional status. It will really help you out. We tend not to post too much in the open forums.

Keep us posted and start askin questions. You'll be surprised at how quickly you get more information than you ever needed. And the jokes will be an everyday thing too. Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Funny how some of these "members" jump at the chance to insult. I believe the gentleman said he was about to start school. .

If you look, you'll see he edited his post after I asked him if he was in school.
    He just asked how to check at first, he added the part about school after I asked.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kaspen2006 View Post
    Well you know captain... After being locked in attics all day long... We have to find a way to vent off some steam... :P Just skimmed over what he posted... Since he is about to start school... They should teach him how to do it...
    You don't need to vent steam on posters.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Twilli says buy guages that do it for you.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    You don't need to vent steam on posters.
    Well said..............it's called bullying..........not cool

Post Likes
    First, check airflow CFM so there is a proper heatload through the evaporator coil.

Then use SH & SC to trouble shoot charge & other problems.

Here is a link for licensed Techs, make a hard copy.

Good Luck on doing It Right. - Darrell
    Last edited by HeyBob; 06-20-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Removed Link!

Post Likes
    udarrell,

Your site and the information it provides is excellent. However, please don't post the links where DIY'ers can get to it. Keep them in the Pro Forums.

Thanks,

Bob

Post Likes
    second that on the sight

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in