Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Goodman a good name?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougvhvac View Post
    A few years ago I was invited to tour Goodman's factory in Texas. I arrived pretty jaded against the product, given a somewhat spotty history. They succeeded in turning me around. Having previously seen the York, Lennox and Carrier factories - Goodman gives nothing up to the competition. The R&D labs were spotless and state of the art. Pervasive throughout was a quality focus culture - they wanted to improve their image. It is also their aspiration to be #1 wordwide (I believe they are #2 in volume). I have little doubt they'll make it. Accordingly the prices seem to steadily be rising. Hopefully the occurrence of failures that others are reporting is falling!
    I've seen many contractors wowed by the Goodman plant tours.

Goodman is actually mostly focused on North America and not much of a worldwide presence. Goodman is also still a primarily residential equipment manufacturer, even though they claim to be light commercial as well (I'm not yet impressed with Goodman's commercial line other then the 7.5 and 10 ton remote condensers and heat pumps.) Currently, as a single brand, Goodman holds the number one spot for residential installations in North America. As a company, Goodman holds the number two spot for the residential installs.

If Goodman can get some of their internal issues with distribution settled, they certainly have a great potential to continue to grow.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Goodmans blow!
    ...cold air.

My 5 Ton 16 SEER Goodman has been flawless for 14 months. 3500 sq ft, wife keeps it at 77F, stage 2 required only above 99F outside. 6 people in the house and a pool pump. Electric bill under $300. Yeah... really blows !!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I have a Goodman R22 14 SEER heat pump that was installed this time last year.

I offer the following advice:

- Get the optional TXV for the air handler. It's less than $#### and will provide maximum cooling efficiency under all operating conditions. All Goodman heat pumps are ARI-rated with a TXV, and not the check flowrater supplied with the air handler.
    Not quite true. All but the 5 ton 14 SEER and all of the 13 SEER R22 heat pumps have a few systems that are ARI rated at 14 SEER with a piston metering device. Also, take out the pricing reference please. Not all contractors charge the same for components.
    - The filter rack for the 1" air handler is poorly designed. I literally have to tear out the old filter and surgically install a new one. Get a separate 4" media cabinet and avoid my monthly aggravation. This would NOT prevent me from getting a Goodman unit.
    I too agree that the filter opening leaves a lot to be desired. It can be manipulated to work better, but it can be a pain.
    So far I am very happy with the Goodman. We'll see if I feel the same way 5 years from now.

Good luck.
    There is no reason you should not be happy in 10-20 years as long as you keep that filter clean, rinse off the outdoor unit once in a while and have your system checked annually by an HVAC professional for any signs of potential issues.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danceswithfish View Post
    I sold Goodman when I first started business any contractor could buy and sell them. No more. Too many failures typically with capacitors and blower relays, fans, oh and evaporator coils. One supply house clerk told me he has seen more warranty claims at the Goodman house in two weeks than he did in years at his former supplier. I would seriously consider other options. As far as Trane and American Standard go yes they do cost more. They definitly have fewer failures and will probably last longer. Of course depending upon craftsmanship of installers and total system design.
    Good luck.
    Dude.....are you completely out of your mind with this statement?? As stated above, the LOWEST failure rate in the industry. Oh wait....you talked to a supply house guy who knows a guy who has a cousin that says..... I wouldn't be so quick to believe everything you hear.

To the OP....from someone who installs Goodman exclusively....you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the quality of the unit....you do have to worry about the quality of the installer though.
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes

Whatever...

Some manufactures make tons of money with people assuming that you get what you pay for, Just because it cost more doesn't make it any better. In fact you be surprised how cheeply some " Top Shelf " units are made, Thinner Copper.... Alum....Ect.. if they can't make units that don't leak with R-22 whats going to happen when the change to 410??
    Ken

Post Likes
    Thinner copper?

do you have info on that one?

Post Likes
    I would stay away from the goodman all together, even amana would be better, As both are made by the same company, the goodman is the lower end, composed of cheaper parts, and less features. I have installed the ASZ16 two stage (which is the amana), it seemed to work well, the controls in out door unit, are a little un-reliable over time though, they do offer a good warranty. If you want the best unit, get a RHEEM. you can look at their 16 seer at rheemac.com.
    Last edited by aintitfun; 06-25-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add info

Post Likes

Thinner = less expensive to build.

You ever heard of enhansed copper?
    Ken

Post Likes
    Honestly, from somebody who does it everyday and repairs everything. They are all junk. Otherwise I wouldn't have a job and be able to afford this computer to give you my .02 on it. Just like the rest of the guys on here. Cheap, expensive, high end, low end. If its mechanical, its gonna be a problem.

Post Likes
    I understand the concept.......less mass.....faster heat transfer....blah blah....not trying to call you out....copper.org doesn't have much info on varying copper thicknesses for ref. purposes. Just curious.....I'm a sponge.

Post Likes
    I hate these threads....

Hey pro's....did you notice the OP's name????

Are we being messed with by a man with too many tools to count?
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes

Cool

[QUOTEDude.....are you completely out of your mind with this statement?? As stated above, the LOWEST failure rate in the industry. Oh wait....you talked to a supply house guy who knows a guy who has a cousin that says..... I wouldn't be so quick to believe everything you hear.

To the OP....from someone who installs Goodman exclusively....you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the quality of the unit....you do have to worry about the quality of the installer though. ][/QUOTE]

Dude...you and my wife agree I may have lost my mind.

What my dimensia has caused is forgetting the unique environment we have here in small town south Florida "the Swamp". Here we have 2800 colling hours per year compared to your 1500 or so. Oh and the humidity. Here these units are installed in attics that endure 160 degrees during the summer. Compare a goodman residential straight cool to the other manufacturers and you find what my cousins friends sisters supply house clerk I have known for only a few years tells me. I believe it. When you walk in the door they have a warranty paperwork station where the coffee and donuts used to be. Unfortunately here Goodman equates to affordable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by $_aei View Post
    Thinner Copper.... Alum....Ect.. if they can't make units that don't leak with R-22 whats going to happen when the change to 410??
    What do you mean change over to R410A. Its already out and being installed daily.

The copper in coils has been made thinner since before the 13 SEER mandate. hasn't proven to be a problem.

Post Likes
    I have been very happy with all my goodman products.

I installed a goodman furnace and condenser in my old house and I was so happy with the product I hooked another goodman gas furnace in tandom to my corn/pellet burner in my new house. I am very happy with it.

I just installed a 13 seer condenser (recip) with txv-A coil and It had a little trouble starting with just the run cap so I threw in a hard start kit and it runs like a champ!

I was also happy with the 5 yr parts warranty and if you register online you get an additonal 5 yrs. So 10 yrs!! Whooo hoo! I think thats a super deal.

I havent heard anything bad about them in this neck of the woods.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fitterchick View Post
    I have been very happy with all my goodman products.
    You keep talking like that, and your going to get Robo excited.

Post Likes

Question

why did goodman drop the name janitrol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    What do you mean change over to R410A. Its already out and being installed daily.

The copper in coils has been made thinner since before the 13 SEER mandate. hasn't proven to be a problem.
    i disagree that the thinner copper has not been a problem finding more evap coils that leak then ever(not complaining just explaining )

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    i disagree that the thinner copper has not been a problem finding more evap coils that leak then ever(not complaining just explaining )

What about the larger use of VOC's? they are being marketed like no tomorrow.

Let me explain a little further.

I run a pool also.

1 ex: Chlorine tabs for the toilet clean the toilet right......humans excert ammonia in thier bodily fluids.....ammonia and chlorine make chlorine gas.......I couldn't manage to find a more corrosive gas on all my equipment in my pool room before completely understanding pool chemistry.

Test:

Clean toilet spotless with chlorine......add small bit of chlorine and then use the bathroom.....you won't smell the chlorine till a human uses the toilet......that's just 1 ex. of the chemicals present today that weren't many years ago as readily.

One sign to look for improper chemical balance in pools is corrosion of metals and a smell of chlorine......impossible to avoid when yo mis the two.....guess where they go in a conditioned home.

Think about all the smell good products these days.....seriously doubt they are all harmless.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-25-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by $_aei View Post
    Some manufactures make tons of money with people assuming that you get what you pay for, Just because it cost more doesn't make it any better. In fact you be surprised how cheeply some " Top Shelf " units are made, Thinner Copper.... Alum....Ect.. if they can't make units that don't leak with R-22 whats going to happen when the change to 410??
    As much as I'd like to claim that brands of units that I do not represent (wholesale to contractors), the fact is that most of the tubing in most of the coils in most of the brands comes from the same supplier. Yes, some of the manufacturers may have periodic issues with the way the aluminum fins are attached to this tubing and sometimes the end panels mess up the tubing, but overall, all of the manufacturer's of HVAC equipment are producing relatively the same stuff and all have issues from time to time.

Most coils on the market that were designed for R22 tested out to be perfectly acceptable for R410a. Goodman coils for example were never changed other then after R410a compatibility testing was done, the units got a "6" in the model number.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    I would stay away from the goodman all together, even amana would be better, As both are made by the same company, the goodman is the lower end, composed of cheaper parts, and less features. I have installed the ASZ16 two stage (which is the amana), it seemed to work well, the controls in out door unit, are a little un-reliable over time though, they do offer a good warranty. If you want the best unit, get a RHEEM. you can look at their 16 seer at rheemac.com.
    Do you even read what you write? "Stay away from Goodman altogether but Amana is ok because they are both manufactured by Goodman...." Did this take an actual thought process?

Just what is unreliable about the controls in the ASZ16 series? Just how long do you consider "over time" since this model has only been out a couple of years? Why have I, who have been involved with literally thousands of these units, not seen any overall control issues?

Incidentally, if you used the proper air handler or coil for that ASZ16, it is exactly the same for Goodman or Amana.
    Training is important!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in