+ Reply to Thread

Thread: single phase compressor short

Post Likes

single phase compressor short

I have a Carrier ductless split system thats a little over a year old. The compressor failed shorting to ground. I have continuity on all three legs to ground which says to me the common is shorted. I believe that the reason is an under voltage situation caused the failure but I want to know other circumstances that cause a short to ground. Tell me your knowledge on whay causes these shorts.

Post Likes
    Its an inverter right ? Variable frequency and voltage.

If the unit saw low voltage it would most likely cause an inverter alarm

It might be manufacture defect

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HuNGRYTeCH View Post
    I have a Carrier ductless split system thats a little over a year old. The compressor failed shorting to ground. I have continuity on all three legs to ground which says to me the common is shorted. I believe that the reason is an under voltage situation caused the failure but I want to know other circumstances that cause a short to ground. Tell me your knowledge on whay causes these shorts.
    loss of oil, overcharge,flooding. is the evap located lower or higher than the condenser? how long is the line set?

Post Likes
    It is not an inverter, Carrier just uses a scroll with and accumulator on the 3 ton mini split.
    The evap is about 15 feet higher than the condenser and the run is about 140', which I realize is long but I do not believe that oil migration is the cause here, though i could be wrong. I find it hard that the compressor could slug due to the accumulator and the outside air temp not dropping below 70 over the last week with highs over 100. I am leaning towards power issues...

Post Likes
    Compressor manufacturers will tell you that a high percentage of compressors returned for warranty where the failure was motor burn are the result of some mechanical failure that then led to the motor failure.

There is some frequency of motor failures due to voltage imbalance issues at the compressor, due to loose power wires, worn contractors, etc.

It's pretty rare to have a defective motor.

Post Likes
    Power surge / lightning most likely.

Post Likes
    The winding is all connected, so there's no telling which part is shorted with a multimeter.

It's like hunting down where exactly the thermostat cable is shorting.

bunny, TS said single phase, so there's no such thing as voltage imbalance.

The winding does not touch the core directly, so something must have caused it to break the wire and touch the core, which comes down to mechanical failure which causes subsequent motor damage.

I want to see what happened. You should cut it apart and take pictures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    I want to see what happened. You should cut it apart and take pictures.
    I would love to but this one goes back to Carrier as warranty. I have about 40 compressors in the shop from this summer so maybe I'll go through them and find one shorted to ground, if I ever get some free time that is.

Post Likes
    I would love to but this one goes back to Carrier as warranty. I have about 40 compressors in the shop from this summer so maybe I'll go through them and find one shorted to ground, if I ever get some free time that is.
    Most compressor manufacturers cut open a number of their warranty returns to perform an inspection to determine the cause of the failure. You can usually request that they inspect your unit and let you know what they found. No guarantee that they will comply, but I have had good luck getting reports on units in the past.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in