Thread: Hey! Engineering student checking in...

Post Likes

Hey! Engineering student checking in...

Hello everyone. Just figured I'd introduce myself here. I'm kind of between junior and senior year studying for mechanical engineering, and find most any engineering topic, including refrigeration, very interesting. I'm also quite mechanically inclined, esp for car repair and custom fabrication. I've come across good threads here on hvac talk googling for information in the past, so I decided to join for full access to some good tech reading.

I work at an ice rink for about 3.5 years and counting, and keep an eye on a pair of York millenium reciprocating liquid chillers...just logging readings and telling the pm tech when things don't sound right, but that's kind of spiked more of an interest in refrigeration. I'm definitely the hands on type, really like to learn how things work, and like to fabricate custom projects to do so. I got my 608 type I certification a few weeks ago so I can legally tear into some small scale refrigeration to learn more about it (currently found an old R22 dehumidifier slated for a project that definitely won't live in a little plastic box on wheels). I'm also hoping do do a project for senior design in a year that will involve building a small liquid chiller for a working scale model indirect cooled "smart" ice rink slab project. I'll try to keep the "will an R22 compressor work with an R12 TXV, pumping R152a with mineral oil?" questions to a minimum, but may post some more general theory based questions if I can't find it here already.

Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    welcome,

i thought we already had an icemiester here
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Welcome aboard and bring it on brother, we just might be cut from the same cloth. ME is certainly a versitile avocation and your "capstone" project sounds intruiging and I'd actually like to know more.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    welcome,

i thought we already had an icemiester here
    Yes, we already have "icemeister" . This will create confusion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    Yes, we already have "icemeister" . This will create confusion.
    Welcome. Perhaps you can change the name slightly before you get to attached to it.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    Welcome. Perhaps you can change the name slightly before you get to attached to it.
    How about Nicemiester???? We need lots more nice people on here to make up for all the "gruppys"........
    Last edited by snewman24; 08-10-2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    How about Nicemiester???? We need lots more nice people on here to make up for all the "gruppys"........
    you're just jealous!
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Names were changed to protect the innocent.
    Nobody's innocent on this board...............

Post Likes

Post Likes
    twophase, are you attending Maryland? Is Dr. Forney still the ME department chair?

Post Likes
    Actually, going to Virginia Commonwealth University.

I haven't really fleshed out the details of my future project yet. Just thinking of possibilities now. The "smart" has to do with my current idea of having the cooling grid divided up into zones possibly with temp sensors at the inlet and outlet of each zone to map out heat load, since a 80'x200' sheet of ice in a building with people, air handlers, doors, leaky insulation, etc. can often experience uneven heating meaning uneven ice hardness, uneven depth maintenance, etc. It would use a control system using proportioning valves and operating a speed controller for the brine pump to use only as much cooling and flow as needed and only where it is needed.

For cooling, I'm thinking of a chiller plant with 4 stages, using ~1/2 ton compressors, each it's own system with a txv but with each evaporator contained whithin the same shell and tube heat exchanger (or divided between two, much like the pair of York millenium packs at work). I may build a minature evap. cooling tower depending on how awesome I'm feeling then. How big the ice slab will be would primarily be determined by how much ~1/2 thick ice can be maintained with about 2-4kW of electricity, but that's a heat transfer problem, which isn't until the spring.

There's alot I wouldn't mind doing for a living, but commercial and industrial process refrigeration system design is something I would not turn down.

P.S. I've already been attached to Icemeister from my line of work, but that's ok. I know my job cold and am constantly pushing the state of the art at my workplace(es), hence why adressing the design requirements would be much more intuitive for an ice rink design project.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you have some great ideas already on your project.

Post Likes
    Welcome from a fellow new guy. I am interested in refrigeration system engineering as well, however I am still pretty low on the totem pole lol. I am just about to graduate an HVAC program and the theory has just peaked my interest. Hopefully someday soon I will be able to attend school for engineering as well and I will definitely be following your posts here because I believe you will spark some intelligent conversations for me to learn from!

Post Likes
    Okay! I have a dumb question. They use chillers for ice rinks? I have dealt with chillers in conditioned spaces using circulated chilled water for conditioning the space, but how do chillers work in making ice? Is it more of a water cooled condensor type situation or what?

Post Likes

Oops! Disregard this post!

Quote Originally Posted by gourdhead View Post
    Okay! I have a dumb question. They use chillers for ice rinks? I have dealt with chillers in conditioned spaces using circulated chilled water for conditioning the space, but how do chillers work in making ice? Is it more of a water cooled condensor type situation or what?
    Sorry, I guess this would be considered a site question. I will ask it in the appropriate forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in