Thread: Mark Beiser-Got time for a question?

Post Likes

Mark Beiser-Got time for a question?

Mark, I noticed in another thread that you said,

"The Allstyle "all in one" type plenum coils are notorious for developing refrigerant leaks. The company I work for has a policy that we will not replace one with another of the same type coil, period."

Would you please look at this picture of our A/C with a leaking coil, and tell me if this is the all in one you are talking about? I am about to have it replaced, and the quote is for a Rheem RCFL-HM2414. Would the tech be replacing a bad coil with a coil that is prone to leak? If so, would you recommend another coil to go with a Rheem RNAL-024JAZ?

Thanks a lot. Tom

Post Likes
    Yeap, that is one of those coils many of us have a love/hate relationship with.
    Good $$$$ in changing them out for a real coil and plenum.

I don't think Rheem rebadges them, so the coil you were bid is most likely a real cased coil. Did they say anything about a new supply plenum?

Post Likes

gas pipe

I noticed in your picture that the copper gas line after the regulator enters the furnace thru the sheet metal knockout. I believe this should be re-piped with black iron pipe to prevent the possability of creating a hole in the copper line and having a potential dangerous situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acbobburk View Post
    I noticed in your picture that the copper gas line after the regulator enters the furnace thru the sheet metal knockout. I believe this should be re-piped with black iron pipe to prevent the possability of creating a hole in the copper line and having a potential dangerous situation.
    Heh, first time I noticed the gas line.
    The whole thing is scary.

Post Likes
    acbobburk and Mark, Thanks for the tip about the gas line and the info about the plenum. I followed up with the A/C man and they are installing a real Rheem coil and plenum. Got them scheduled for next week. Thanks again. Tom

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in