+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know why my store burnt down!

Post Likes

I don't know why my store burnt down!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344692726.626896.jpg
Views: 4214
Size:  77.0 KB each of these plugs are attached to 1/3 hp coolers. Where's the Fire Marshal when you need him?

Post Likes
    Looks up to code to me

Post Likes
    Warm to the touch? I think I see two 16ga extensions feeding 2 coolers each? How long are the cords? Why is the floor clean and where did the dust bunnies go?

We all know this is not the best installation. We also all know that these are hiding out behind equipment at too many ma and pa convenience stores, so I just do a quick "hands-on" and if I can hold on for an extended time, I just let the owner know that this is a hazard on his ticket and leave. If it is smokin' hot we have a meet-with-vishnu moment.

Post Likes
    I used to try and explain it to them but it's like talking to a brick wall and when I go to the back and see the worn out breaker panel feeding everything I just give up. One time I was recovering refrigerant from a burn out and my recovery unit was bouncing all over the floor. After some investigation I discovered that the outlet the equipment was on and I was using had 240 volts going to a 110 outlet!

Post Likes
    hydra- I've got one better then yours, I had a building engineer wire a 120 duplex outet with 277 volts so he could test light fixtures and a helper plugged a buffer into it. He pulled the switch and it blew up in his hand. The outlet wasn't marked or any warnings posted.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    Wow! It's bad enough to do it out of stupidity but doing it on purpose is down right negligent!

Post Likes
    I think she's a little overloaded

Post Likes
    That looks like me.........2 vacuum pumps, drop light, battery charger, shop vac, box fan, sawzall, and impact all off one pigtail.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    That looks like me.........2 vacuum pumps, drop light, battery charger, shop vac, box fan, sawzall, and impact all off one pigtail.
    Believe it or not, that was a permanent setup at a major chain grocery store! I'm used to seeing it at the mom n pops but this one kinda surprised me.

Post Likes
    How ridiculous! Can't believe they didn't have the same color wire....how insulting.
    Seriously, is that rat crap all over the floor? problem soon to be solved. Just stick a wire under a trap with Grey Poupon (yeah, the good stuff on they way out)
    Why do I only get a HVAC license when reality is I'm a plumber, electrician, counselor and financial expert once I'm working on someone's equipment?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primecooler View Post
    Seriously, is that rat crap all over the floor?

Post Likes
    that's just wrong....who does these things..... i would walk away
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    at night the rat huddles close to stay warm in the wiring, kind of like a drain line heater,but once he gets to close he literally gets the **** shocked out of him!!! hahaha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    I used to try and explain it to them but it's like talking to a brick wall and when I go to the back and see the worn out breaker panel feeding everything I just give up. One time I was recovering refrigerant from a burn out and my recovery unit was bouncing all over the floor. After some investigation I discovered that the outlet the equipment was on and I was using had 240 volts going to a 110 outlet!
    I've run into that a couple times where there is 240 on a 110 outlet. Sometimes I get paranoid, and check the outlet with my meter before I plug into it.

Post Likes
    Bran nu, all gotee UL tag!.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    If the breaker pops, just put in a bigger one!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    If the breaker pops, just put in a bigger one!
    That's the logic I run into frequently. It's amazing how many people have no clue about electricity at all!

Post Likes
    Thermal image camera, or even inexpensive temp gun, can be used to cure ignorance.

Probably ain't gonna fix stupid, but you can fix ignorance.

Post Likes
    i think it is okay!
    he used the little adapter so there is no more earth ground!
    now he can not get shocked!!!!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Terrible, someone might trip.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in