Thread: condensation from uninsulated duct?

Post Likes

Confused condensation from uninsulated duct?

We just had all the ductwork replaced underneath our 2005 doublewide after our purchase in July 2012. Within 3 days of using the air conditioning system, the floor in the rear hall bath began to swell and warp.
    My husband investigated and found that the duct from the main line going into the bathroom floor register, was not wrapped with the insulation, dripped with condensation and all around the boot at the floor to the register was water droplets dripping from the floor. The h/a installer said they didn't forget to wrap the pipe and that wouldn't cause the floor to warp.
    We had the home inspected before purchase in July and there were no issues with the floors anywhere, no plumbing issues what so ever.

My husband said he will replace the floor, and deduct the materials and labor from the balance we owe the H/A guy as the H/A installer has admitted he has no Carpentry knowledge what so ever therefore I don't feel comfortable with him tearing up my bathroom floor.He is still saying that this didn't cause the problem, yet everything else was wrapped, and there are no other issues anywhere in the house. Am I wrong?

Post Likes
    Might check the plumbing system again. The grill should not have any droplets on it even if the duct is not insulated. Commode might be leaking and running out under the flooring. Check every thing before you start tearing out. And then insulate all the duct work.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    If the ductwork is not indoors, then it needs to be insulated. I agree with Lentz, check the plumbing also because inspectors can miss stuff.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    Does your bath fan work?

Post Likes
    we have checked the plumbing, everything with the pipes, toilet, tub and vanity sink are solid and good to go.
    As for the droplets around the underside of the floor around the vent, that isn't massive, just sweat droplets from the condensation. You can look into the vent and see the moisture dripping down the pipe and outside underneath the same thing.

Post Likes
    Yes. the bath fan works. fine. Toilet flushes fine, tub works fine, vanity sink works fine. We tested everything out to make sure nothing leaked while my husband was under the house before we finally realized the condensation on that one section of pipe that they neglected to wrap with insulation.

Post Likes
    reason I asked. is because if the fan doesn't work, or isn't used to showers and baths, and then left on for 10 to 15 minutes later, you can get condensation on a cold floor, like you would have from running the A/c.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    reason I asked. is because if the fan doesn't work, or isn't used to showers and baths, and then left on for 10 to 15 minutes later, you can get condensation on a cold floor, like you would have from running the A/c.

My husband just got off the phone with the guy. Guess he needed to hear the same thing from a man. Anyway. He admitted fault and said he would come over and insulate the pipe, and agreed to my husband fixing the floor and after the materials and labor are deducted, we will pay him the rest. Just wish it hadn't taken so long to resolve.
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Post Likes
    2005 trailer?

what happened to the original ductwork?
    what happened to the blown insulation held in place
    in the floors with 'belly' material? any insulation currently in the floors?
    (can't imagine if your dh can see the duct that isn't insulated)

they replaced with hard pipe ducting and not flex? that is unsual.

what happened to result in the replacement of ducts in a 7 year old trailer?

you don't replace the floors until you insulate the ducts or it will just occur again.
    make them mastic seal all the joints & connections of the hard ducting before insulating.
    then insulate each supply box externally with the same ductwrap used on the other ductwork.
    then figure out how you'll insulate the floors again..

ducts in floors with no insulation on the ductwork will condensate.
    even with insulation on the ducts and no insulation in the floor they will still condensate.
    as they are esposed to ambient temps & dewpoints.

more info??
    what part of the country are you in?

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hcong View Post
    If the ductwork is not indoors, then it needs to be insulated.
    So, You Think DUCTWORK that IS INSIDE, does NOT need insulation?
    Think Again!

One might say ... Duct <56'F may sweat in a room > 75'F.
    _______________ To what degree, is another story.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Original ductwork is still there just disconected, they didnt remove it. It is under the underpinning, The original ducts were insulated inside the duct and mice had peed and crapped in the ducts, you CANT remove that with cleaning ergo the whole lot had to be replace lest you risk health issues. The duct pipe is now covered, thanks to my husband finishing the installers work, Eastern north carolina. Was a little suprised that he didn't take the old ductwork away but just disconnected it. Kinds took away alot of the access area in the crawlspace too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in