Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No one needs to do a load calc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    I could get away with the 2 ton and Aux heat.

I re did all my Load calc's and I now have 24067 cooling and 24166 heating @ 10 degFfor winter and 85 for summer . A inside temp of 72 in winter and 77 in summer.
    I have someone coming to do load calc and give me an estimate, within the next week

The do a fair amount of the Mitsubishi Zuba that I had never heard of but I have read some good things about them here. Though It may be too large for my needs.

Jimmy
    How is a modulating ( inverter driven) unit judged to be over$ized?

"I could get away with" ... sounds like a bank hold-up.
    ___________ _________________________
    ZUBA might be ANOTHER BanK Hold_up. [... though it make be TOO LARGE for MY need$.].

In US, one may select a Carrier GREEN$PEED.

Load calc is definitely never needed when one _already_ has their mind predisposed to a specific solution.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Dan

I know it is high end and will cost.
    The Zuba gives 25000 btu's at -25F with a COP of 1.2. It gives 38000 @ 20F with a COP of 2. The COP should be higher at 20F if I am only needing 24000 btu's.
    Could the duckwork be designed for the 24000 BTU's and therefore operate as a 2 ton? If the temperature drops to 0 F I would need 28000btus. ( this may only happen for a few days a year). The Zuba would supply this but would the ductwork need to be sized accordingly?

Jimmy

Post Likes
    I have someone coming to do load calc and give me an estimate, within the next week They do mostly industrial refrigeration but also do residential HVAC. They said they can install almost any product that I want.
    Jimmy
    They do Industrial refrigeration, and sideline residential.....

Kinda an odd match-up there...
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    They do Industrial refrigeration, and sideline residential.....

Kinda an odd match-up there...
    They are the only company willing to do a site visit and a load calculation before supplying an estimate.

Post Likes
    They are the only company willing to do a site visit and a load calculation before supplying an estimate.
    Crazy stuff.

They're probably afraid of doing a bunch of legwork and getting hosed.
    Is what it is though.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I don't see why they would do it before providing an estimate.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    We should start a buisness with all propper QC
    We'll start with your spelling, I know mine sucks two.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I don't see why they would do it before providing an estimate.
    Shouldn't they do one, so that they can provide an estimate.

Post Likes

The entire existing situation needs evaluating before making wild equipment offers

It is not that difficult to learn how to do fairly accurate load calcs.

Even I can do them, & have only a few brain cells left.

You have to evaluate the duct system, airflow, etc., before you even consider providing them with an estimate.

A load calc is essential before providing any equipment sizing numbers.

If the heat gain & loss are considerably more than what is considered, in the ballpark, then weatherization work is called for along with duct efficiency work...before proper equipment sizing takes place...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    It is not that difficult to learn how to do fairly accurate load calcs.

Even I can do them, & have only a few brain cells left.

You have to evaluate the duct system, airflow, etc., before you even consider providing them with an estimate.

A load calc is essential before providing any equipment sizing numbers.

If the heat gain & loss are considerably more than what is considered, in the ballpark, then weatherization work is called for along with duct efficiency work...before proper equipment sizing takes place...
    That is all I am asking for. To get someone in and look at this place. and get an estimate and equipment suggestions.

I have done one using HVAC Calc Residential 4.0.

The house is 1200sq ft for basement and 1200sqft main floor R20 in walls on main floor, R38 in half wall in basement R10 foamboard for 3 ft of concrete basement walls. 1600 sq ft vaulted ceiling with R38. The main wall is 435 sq ft south east facing and has 181 sq ft of low e argon windows so both heat gain and heat loss.

I come up with a 2 ton for cooling
    Last edited by JimmyP; 04-03-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes

I'll use your calc and you provide the Warranty

since Thread is Titled " No one needs to do a load calc"
    a.k.a. You do it MY Way, or hit the highway ...

Any1 should give you
    1. estimate
    2. load calc
    3. visit

... so here it is
    1. A lot ... $ 1#,3#5.#7
    2. Same as you stated above.
    3. WHERE Are you buying me dinner?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I don't understand all your jibberish dan sw fl.
    1. they need to visit to evualate.
    2 see and understand what is required
    3 estimate and properly size equipment
    Last edited by JimmyP; 04-03-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    I should have put it out there as a question for all of the ones that don't understand. Why does everyone think that they don't need to do a load calc.

Post Likes
    Try Mat at Aire Serv.

I would think he would be able to handle this request.
    He hasn't replied to a request.

Post Likes
    just guess how much of your money you'd like to give them and flush the rest as a rot

Post Likes
    Jibberish?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    since Thread is Titled " No one needs to do a load calc"
    a.k.a. You do it MY Way, or hit the highway ...

Any1 should give you
    1. estimate
    2. load calc
    3. visit

... so here it is
    1. A lot ... $ 1#,3#5.#7
    2. Same as you stated above.
    3. WHERE Are you buying me dinner?
    No Dinner

Your Falcon link is so true they are amazing. I was 200 miles offshore in the north atlantic and one landed on the rig in a storm. . It was injured and we sent it to a nature park to recoup.

Post Likes
    Try Mat at Aire Serv.

I would think he would be able to handle this request.
    That company showed up and did some measurements and came up with 38000 BTU's/ hr heat loss. So a 3 or 3.5 ton system needed.

My electrical utility bill average for Dec to Feb was 1500kw /month this is 170500 btu's day and 12 hours / day ( darkness without solar gain) of usage would be 14208 btu's/hr. There is no way I would need 38000btu's hr.

Post Likes
    That company showed up and did some measurements and came up with 38000 BTU's/ hr heat loss. So a 3 or 3.5 ton system needed.

My electrical utility bill average for Dec to Feb was 1500kw /month this is 170500 btu's day and 12 hours / day ( darkness without solar gain) of usage would be 14208 btu's/hr. There is no way I would need 38000btu's hr.
    we don't base a load on average.
    you may keep your thermostat at a different temperature than the manual J suggested temp.

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes

Maybe he likes to size for -6 'F with an assumed HIGH infiltration rate.

One needs to review electric usage by the hour if you wish to establish heat capacity required
    based on power usage
    and equipment heat output
    or one must compensate for Heating Degree Days (HDD) versus Design Temperature.

PEAK LOAD might be 1.5 to 2.5 X the Average usage depending of the day, week or month.
    For example, Design Temperature = 10'F and Average Temperature = 30'F ( HDD = 65 - 30 = 35)

dT Design = 70 -10 = 60
    dT HDD = 70 - 35 = 35
    60 / 35 = 1.7

dT HDD = 70 - 45 = 25 for a warmer month, week or day
    60/ 25 = 2.4

If your average temperature for Dec - Febr was 30'F ( HDD = 35 * 90 days = 3150),
    one would use 1.7 * portion of electric bill used for heating IF electric strip was used.

X C.O.P. if heat pump is used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in