+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blocked Cold Air return

Post Likes

Blocked Cold Air return

I live in a older two story home with 2 Large cold air returns both are on the first floor and located on the floor, However we would like to build a walk in closet around one of them would this be a problem.

Thanks in advanced
    -MARK

Post Likes
    If both R/A's are needed and you cut one off, it will hurt the system. Either add another R/A at a different location or use part of the closet for intake.

Post Likes
    What do you mean by using part of the closet as intake. Just leave it there, I intended on just enclosing it in the closet is that ok

Post Likes
    No.

You may want to have the return relocated.

You don't want to over heat your heat exchanger, and have to buy a new furnace, do you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yoz View Post
    What do you mean by using part of the closet as intake. Just leave it there, I intended on just enclosing it in the closet is that ok
    How is the air going to get to it?

Post Likes
    I live in a older two story home with 2 Large cold air returns both are on the first floor and located on the floor, However we would like to build a walk in closet around one of them would this be a problem.

Thanks in advanced
    -MARK
    no problem if you dont mind your house not getting cold

Post Likes
    Return air is probably #2 on the list of neglected items, right behind the air filter. If you remove the return air from one area, even if you have enough in total in another, you will probably find a variance in the air quality and temperature in the area it has been removed from.

Study where the thermostat is. Will there be enough/too much air movement in the area of the thermostat? Proper air distribution depends as much on return as it does on supply. Instead of blocking it off, consider adapting it to another wall/floor.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    Here was the plan. The room is an old bedroom with a return on the floor. We want to build a closet where the return is with louvered doors for a walk in closet. Would it help if I where to cut a hole in the wall and put a vent sceen so that some air from the rest of the room would get sucked in as well.

thanks

Post Likes
    Here was the plan. The room is an old bedroom with a return on the floor. We want to build a closet where the return is with louvered doors for a walk in closet. Would it help if I where to cut a hole in the wall and put a vent sceen so that some air from the rest of the room would get sucked in as well.

thanks
    It is hard to help when you just give us part of the plan! The louvered door will work, if no one every puts something in the closet that blocks airflow.
    The other problem is that everything in the closet will have dust on it.
    But, go for it.
    Make a great day!

Post Likes
    Its a code violation to use a closet as a return cavity/duct.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in