+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One on me

Post Likes

One on me

I'll show one on e. Just happened today. This is what happens when you're not thinking.

Name:  IMG_20130212_154127.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  71.4 KB

Post Likes
    What happened? forget to pull the disconnect.

Post Likes
    crap like that happens all the time, put a new connector on it and life moves on.

york, huh?

hell, at least you didn't short it to low voltage wire.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    What happened? forget to pull the disconnect.
    yep.

One positive was I got to see a bit of a fireworks show. And stars, because that was one hell of a bright flash

Post Likes
    Fried a screwdriver pushing in a contactor for customer to show them the compressor was okay. I wasn't paying attention and it slipped off onto the line side. Talking about fireworks. But yes happens

Post Likes
    And that was only single phase 240.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsolarguy View Post
    Fried a screwdriver pushing in a contactor for customer to show them the compressor was okay. I wasn't paying attention and it slipped off onto the line side. Talking about fireworks. But yes happens
    any time I am doing this type of thing I use something non-metallic, like a Sharpie pen, for just that reason.

I also bought the plastic pliers for removing fuses from disconnects.

they sent me back after another tech, for a second opinion and I noted some burn marks on the capacitor, connection and wall. customer said he watched the other tech arc his screwdriver. Scared them both!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    A friend of mine who's new to the industry went on an A/C maint. This past spring, he said the condenser wouldn't turn on, he opened disconnect box and found melted wires. He made the rookie mistake of asking the home owner to turn breaker off, he said he went to unscrew the lugs and got thrown back about five feet landed on his back and the sparks lit the vinal siding on fire. The homeowner grabed the garden hose to spray the fire. Luckily my friend was fast enough to stop him before he killed them both. When he told me this story all I could do was to laph, he got a little upset I told him well that's the last time you trust someone else to kill the juice. I also told him the volt meter in his bag is a good thing to use too. After seeing pictures I don't understand how the heck he got the disconnect taken apart without getting hit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsolarguy View Post
    I always use my finger to keep that from happening...

Post Likes
    So you gents are saying its wrong to use a screwdriver to short out an outlet/switch when one cannot locate the proper breaker due to zero labeling & boss will not spring for a tracer.

Post Likes
    I'm not an electrician, but I've hear that if a breaker is triped due to direct short you are supos to technically replace the breaker. This is what I've heard don't know if its true. Has anyone heard of this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nick muniz View Post
    So you gents are saying its wrong to use a screwdriver to short out an outlet/switch when one cannot locate the proper breaker due to zero labeling & boss will not spring for a tracer.
    Lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkb79 View Post
    I'm not an electrician, but I've hear that if a breaker is triped due to direct short you are supos to technically replace the breaker. This is what I've heard don't know if its true. Has anyone heard of this.
    I think I remember being told in my Electrical Class (way back in the 80's so it could be a hallucination lol) that a breaker is UL rated to only guarantee to trip once by direct short and should be replaced. To me that means if your house burns down and you say you just reset the shorted breaker, someone will try to put the blame/liability on you.
    Can anyone else weigh in....(teach me, teach me)

Post Likes
    I was told by my instructor after every break they become weaker and will break under a lower amperage. He also said after 3 trips they should be replaced and same goes for surge protectors.

Post Likes
    I had a furnace that I couldn't find the breaker for. So I grounded it out. 20 amp breaker. Tripped the main... Oooops!

Post Likes
    I had rep. for a electrical company tell me that breakers are only guaranteed for one trip, they may work after that but are only guaranteed for one trip.

Post Likes
    So if you buy a "new" or different home first thing you should do is change the breakers cause you don't know how many times they have been tripped? Can honestly say I have never seen anyone do anything like that, and I would think if breakers had such a short life span that would be common practice. I would have to agree that I would think direct shorts cannot be good for breakers but not sure how they could put a number on it. If they were that susceptible to damage you would think they would make them inoperable after a dead short. In fact I'm surprised they haven't being that they could sell a lot more breakers and take more liability of themselves (the manufacturers) that is. If we just go back to glass screw in fuses we will all be safe

Post Likes
    I do that kind of stuff when I am thinking! Changing a contactor two weeks ago while talking to my help and felt my pinky go into hyper drive....forgot to turn off the disconnect.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I have replaced many breakers because they had gone soft from being tripped repeatedly. I have also replaced breakers because they were Federal Pacific. That's about the same thing as not opening when they are supposed to.
    Carpe Carp~ Seize the carp

Post Likes
    breakers do get weak but no they are not rated for one trip only. One trip only is called a fuse. When breakers came into being the old sparkies started the one trip only fantasy to sell stuff or just out of ignorance and its still with us all these years later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in