+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 407C in a Flooded Chiller

Post Likes

407C in a Flooded Chiller

I came across a chiller that was converted from R22 to 407C. I know this is incorrect for many of the obvious reasons. Most of my chiller experience is with flooded ammonia systems. With that out of the way I'm hoping that I may get some good recommendations of a replacement refrigerant. I want to tell them 507. The process is chilled water. Process temp is 33F. Air cooled system with a vilter 350 recip. Thanks in advance.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    What are the negative indications about the job as it is now?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by tempest tech View Post
    I came across a chiller that was converted from R22 to 407C. I know this is incorrect for many of the obvious reasons. Most of my chiller experience is with flooded ammonia systems. With that out of the way I'm hoping that I may get some good recommendations of a replacement refrigerant. I want to tell them 507. The process is chilled water. Process temp is 33F. Air cooled system with a vilter 350 recip. Thanks in advance.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Poor oil return and the fact that you shouldnt use a blend unless it direct expansion.

Post Likes
    Why not back to R-22

Post Likes
    If it were my choice thats what would happen but the customer thinks 22 is too expensive. Its only a 500lb charge.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Why not back to R-22
    x2
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Why not back to R-22
    X3

Post Likes
    R22 in Europe is forbidden. If the retrofit involved the change of Mineral to POE, you shouldnt have oil return problems. About the glide of R407C yes thats a problem for efficency of the HE. However if the system is semi-flooded it shouldn´t be bad.

Post Likes
    Carlos, could you please describe "semi-flooded"?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Carlos, could you please describe "semi-flooded"?
    Yes. I mean chillers with a flooded evaporator and also an expansion device, for example u have Carrier 30GX or Trane RTHA/B/C/D.

Post Likes
    Thank you, Carlos. Here, we call it simply "flooded". I wondered if maybe you were talking about something different. I see now that you were not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Yes. I mean chillers with a flooded evaporator and also an expansion device, for example u have Carrier 30GX or Trane RTHA/B/C/D.
    All chillers have an expansion device.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    All chillers have an expansion device.
    Yes your wright...what I mean to say was, it´s different to have a float valve then an expansion valve. Look to Carrier´s 30GX and 19XR, both evaporators are flooded, When conmpressor running you only can see liquid level in 19 XR, you cant in 30GX because of the EXV. Here we call this type of chillers semi-flooded.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in