Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question ComfortNet Stat and Aprilaire 600 Humidifier

Can the ComfortNet Modulating or 2 stage Stat control the Aprilaire 600 automatic humidifier? The humidifier comes with it's own control and also an outdoor sensor, so I was trying to figure out the logistics of the install.

Just wondering how it's supposed to wire up together...

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I know that the ComfortNet Modulating thermostat uses 4 wires to communicate with the furnace board. How would I hook the humidifier up to everything? Can the AprilAire 600 be controlled by ComfortNet, or do I need to use the controller than comes with the AprilAire?

Looks like the humidifier can be connected to the HVAC and the ComfortNet Modulating stat can control the humidifier.(?)

I was trying to figure out whether to use the control that comes with the AprilAire 600 Automatic model. I only have 18/5 wiring between the furnace and stat. I know the ComfortNet stat only uses 4 wires, so that's good. It the ComfortNet stat can also control humidity, then I don't need to use the control that comes with the humidifier.

it lists " de-humidification" but not humidification

Here's is the official product page:

http://www.amana-hac.com/Home/Produc...6/Default.aspx

Once of the bullet points on that page says:
    "Built-in humidification & dehumidification controls"

I am not sure whether that implies it has something that measures humidity or not.

I know the Amana AMVM96 furnace has a "HUM" connection for the humidifier. I guess I want to find out whether the communicating part and the stat is able to control whatever humidifier that is connected to the board.

Hmm...I guess it could mean that it controls humidity levels by dehumidication? So just one way...i.e. decreasing humidity? That wouldn't work!

That cut sheet lists both functions

Page 31 under install lists De humidification so it is confusing

I agree. It's rather vague. In the AMVM96's manual, it says the following:

The integrated furnace control HUM (dry contacts) are closed whenever the inducer is energized in a non-communicating installation. When used with a CTK02AA communicating thermostat, the HUM terminals are closed whenever there is a call for humidity. The integrated control module electronic air cleaner terminals (EAC) are energized with 115 volts whenever the circulator blower is energized.
    24 VOLT HUMIDIFIER A 5" long brown wire in the wire harness at the low fire pressure
    switch provides 24 VAC humidifier control. This wire is powered any time the pressure switch is closed. To connect 24 VAC HUM, connect the 24 VAC line of the humidifier to the 5” brown wire. The connection can be made by either stripping the wire and using a
    wire nut or by using a field supplied quick connect terminal. The wiring must conform to all local and national codes. Connect the COM side of the humidifier to the C terminal on the furnace control board (or to the COM side of the 24 VAC transformer). Do not connect 115V humidifier to these terminals.
    I suppose I'll ask the tech tomorrow. Just want to find out how this should all work.

Is your system communicating?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Is your system communicating?
    Yes.

Furnace:
    http://www.amana-hac.com/Home/Produc...7/Default.aspx

Stat:
    http://www.amana-hac.com/Home/Produc...6/Default.aspx

Humidifier is the AprilAire 600. Humidifier is a very simple one. So I was told by AprilAire. Just a 24V connection controlling the opening and closing of a valve.

All to be installed by the tech tomorrow.

Found some wiring diagrams here:
    http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cf...1-3B9839F377F0

It's too bad I can't be using the ComfortNet modulating stat for everything. At least I don't think I can...

Some updates

I figured I would post an update.

The situation changed in that there's of course the Humidistat that comes with the AprilAire 600. The Control 60 automatic humidistat. So the challenge was hooking that up in any capacity to the Amana AMVM communicating modulating furnace with the modulating thermostat. What I really wanted was to be able to run the humidifier with fan only mode and not just when heat was being called.

So I had the tech over. He had spend a good amount of time trying to figure things out and basically came to the conclusion that because I am using a communicating thermostat, the humidifier can't be hooked up like that where it would run even if the furnace is in fan-only mode. The modulating stat uses 4 wires. I think 2 wires for power and 2 for data. Once this is hooked up, the other connections on the furnace's circuit board doesn't send anything to the humidifier.

What the tech did was connected the humidistat to the Low Fire connection on the furnace. This way when heat is called, the humidifier will start up.

I guess I'll just have to live with that. Better than nothing and I usually need humidity when the heat is on anyways, so I guess it's not a huge loss...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast