Heat pump problems/replacement
    Hello and some questions from a homeowner. I have a 10-11 y/o Lennox heat pump with electric back-up heat; condenser m/n HP25-461-29 with an air handler m/n CB-19-41-3P-TXV. The compressor has shorted internally and I'm considering the options to replacing the compressor.

As far as I can tell by reading Lennox numbering on their site, the condenser is a 3.5 ton, and the air handler is a 3 ton. Q1 - Is that a problem?

The house is a typical two-story 4-bedroom colonial, built in 1987 near Philadelphia, 2300 sq. ft, 4 bedroom, finished basement, decent windows, r-13 walls and r-19 ceiling. The second floor has never been as comfortable (hot or cold) as the first floor, and air velocity (output and return) seems real low. Q2 - Is the system sized properly?

The outfit that installed the existing system for the previous homeowner has quoted me a new $4200 for a new Lennox HP13 3.5 ton condenser, no mention of replacing the coil, no questions on how the system worked prior to this problem. Q3 & 4- How efficient is the 13 SSER 3.5ton condenser with a 10 y/o 3 ton coil? And, if the mismatch is a problem, can the coil be replaced with a new 3.5 ton or sholud I go with a 3 ton condenser?

I likely won't stay in this house longer than two more years. Q5 - What is the most cost effective brand?

Thanks.

[Edited by xlcr on 03-17-2006 at 12:51 PM]

First off, pick a different company,have a load calc done,and install the correct size heatpump. If you want to go with inexpensive, look at a Goodman condenser with matching indoor coil. If you want to see what size you need, the top of this page has a good calculation program.
    Ask around for a company with a good reputation.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thumbs up

i agree .i think that you should install a new unit.
    goodman is the lowest price with the best warranty ,life time on the compressor and ten year on parts.
    with out looking at the house i would think a 4 ton at the smallest would work better.also go with a new furnace with a v.f. drive

Give us a call,if you just replace outdoor,you will not get SEER or BTU's of new unit or old. And a home inspector might catch it and make you do the inside unit.Rebates are on and with PA winter we are keeping the Pencils sharp for a quick turn around before the RUSH comes.Oliver 610-544-4884 ext 148

[Edited by heatpump guru on 03-17-2006 at 10:47 PM]
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

I agree replace entire system maybe even 410a. but make sure that you get load calc done and that duct size is correct for new system. talk to a realtor you trust as usually new high effecient system is a good selling point and you should be able to recover cost of system maybe even more. by the way 410a is the repalcement for r22

Originally posted by xlcr
    Hello and some questions from a homeowner. I have a 10-11 y/o Lennox heat pump with electric back-up heat; condenser m/n HP25-461-29 with an air handler m/n CB-19-41-3P-TXV. The compressor has shorted internally and I'm considering the options to replacing the compressor.

As far as I can tell by reading Lennox numbering on their site, the condenser is a 3.5 ton, and the air handler is a 3 ton. Q1 - Is that a problem?

The house is a typical two-story 4-bedroom colonial, built in 1987 near Philadelphia, 2300 sq. ft, 4 bedroom, finished basement, decent windows, r-13 walls and r-19 ceiling. The second floor has never been as comfortable (hot or cold) as the first floor, and air velocity (output and return) seems real low. Q2 - Is the system sized properly?

The outfit that installed the existing system for the previous homeowner has quoted me a new $4200 for a new Lennox HP13 3.5 ton condenser, no mention of replacing the coil, no questions on how the system worked prior to this problem. Q3 & 4- How efficient is the 13 SSER 3.5ton condenser with a 10 y/o 3 ton coil? And, if the mismatch is a problem, can the coil be replaced with a new 3.5 ton or sholud I go with a 3 ton condenser?

I likely won't stay in this house longer than two more years. Q5 - What is the most cost effective brand?

Thanks.

[Edited by xlcr on 03-17-2006 at 12:51 PM]
    This is Turtle

You could have fooled me with that air handler number and it be a 3 ton. I would have thought it was a 41,000 btu air handler.

Also with the condenser number and it being a 3.5 ton you could have fooled me and i would have thought it was a 46,000 btu condenser.

TURTLE

always hated lennox mod #'s... wish they would put btu capacity in thousands and make it easy... hold on let me get my decoder ring out...