Mix match walk-in refrigerator box install

I am installing some used equipment for a walk-in cold box. Condenser is Manitowoc M#: CVD1075 that uses R-404A. The evap is a Russell M#: CTA 48-112 made for R22 use. I did some research and the condenser is designed to be used for ice making application according to manufacturer. Will this work? Should I use R22 or change out the TXV and use R-404A? I am concerned about using R22 because of the different oils. And no I didn't get the equipment the guys who built the box did.

Your only asking for problems. You need to get equiptment that is matched up. Just because you have a condensing unit and an evaporator doesn't mean they are compatible. There's more to a system than just refrigerant. Temperature design and BTU's to name a couple.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I agree. I actually found literature on Russell's site that helps match condensers to their evaps. I'll let my customer know what he's getting into. He's payin me cash though and his supplier deals with used equipment. So we'll see what he wants to do.

You've got to be kidding... For starters the Manitowoc CVD doesn't even have a receiver, so it is unsuitable to use as a walk-in-cooler condensing unit.

Would you ever be able to make it work? Anything is possible with enough hackery...! Haha. Good luck

/*edit - By the way I'm not trying to insult you, you obviously are smart enough to research and think "Ice Machine + Cooler = Nightmare.. Hmmm"" I'm just amazed that your equipment supplier would ask you to install two pieces of equipment that are a different type of refrigerant and for completely different applications...

It's funny on one hand, but on the other hand,, everybody who comes after you and sees it will blame you, even though you didn't select the equipment, you know what I mean?
    Last edited by trippintl0; 01-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Oh i thought the same thing when i saw they were diff refrigerants. He tried to tell me he researched that the commpressor could be used with any refrigerant. So i made sure. I am more of an AC/heat tech with some refrigeration experience. But apparently they built the customer's other box with used mix matched crap too. This is start up vegan health food business that is trying to save as much money as possible.

If they don't want it done correctly, walk away. It will cost you more headaches than it's worth.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

After you are done with that , I have a small project for you.

I have a Volkswagen beetle engine sittitng on my garage floor in really nice condition , and my tractor trailer needs a engine ... can you swap it into the truck ? I think it should run ok ....

Quote Originally Posted by iupete View Post
    I agree. I actually found literature on Russell's site that helps match condensers to their evaps. I'll let my customer know what he's getting into. He's payin me cash though and his supplier deals with used equipment. So we'll see what he wants to do.
    You install it you marry it... try to let him know even if you make it work it will self destruct soon and will likely need to be serviced at his expense with every weather change.Just my opinion from experience