Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool

just one question? Would it be hard for someone who is color-blind to have a career in hvac?not completely color-blind.just a couple of colors.

Hmm

don't go by the colour of your refrig bottles

i would label them (eg; R134a , R404a)

wiring could be tricky , but you could get round that.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

You learn to adapt.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Which colors?

Your in trouble if you can't distiguish the difference between red, green, yellow, white, orange and blue.

One of the guys that works for my company is supposedly color blind. He gets by and is a good tech too, been doing it for many years.
    Zach

Should'nt be too bad. I worked with a guy that was color blind and he did OK. The old Carrier units with all yellow wiring with stripes on it were the ones that kicked his butt.

I know a company who is in Azle ,Texas that the owner is color blind and can wire alot of different heat pumps with no problem he just tic marks the wires with numbers at each end and everything works fine.

He has some problems with electric heaters some times and calls me and I walk him through it.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Senior Tech Guest
    It's been alledged that I do it brainless...surely you can do it with color blindless...

Bright light, and hold white paper or cardboard behind the wires in question. ... or the old " my contact lenses are giving me fits today, could you tell me what color this is please? note: use only if not wearing glasses-- or they'll catch on.
    "could be a law...don't know. James Gregory

I work at a small mom/pop shop where BOTH the boss and I are color blind! Mom thought I was color when I was a kid but didn't make much of it. Knew for sure when I enlisted in the NAVY and signed up to fly helicopters. Couldn't pass the color test. Said I was red /green deficient. Spent most of navel career in boiler room, when given chance to learn A/C. That was back in 1972. Hasn't been much of problem, you learn to adjust, but I have blown up my share of transformers tho. Started putting fuses on secondary sides years ago for that reason if the equipment didn't have them. Kind of rattles customers sometimes when they find out my "handicap". It used to bother me years ago but I don't think about it much now. That's one nice thing about getting older. Of course when H/O feels heat coming out of the registers @ 2:00 a.m. when it's 20degrees out my being "slightly" colorblind doesn't seem to bother them.

Originally posted by jhvac
    just one question? Would it be hard for someone who is color-blind to have a career in hvac?not completely color-blind.just a couple of colors.

NEVER NEVER NEVER I REPEAT NEVER LET ANYTHING STOP YOU JUST KEEP GOING FORWARD. "KINDA LIKE ME I ONLY HAVE A FORWARD MODE ON MY TRANSMISSION"

YOU"LL DO FINE AND THE GUYS THAT ARE RIPPING ON YOU ABOUT THE COLORS DON'T MIND THEM ALL THE REFRIGERANT CYLINDERS ARE LABELED.

I've met a lot of people in the HVAC field that don't have any mechanical abilities so color blindness shouldn't stop you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast