Mezzanine floor design suggestions

Hi

We are designing HVAC for a car showroom with ground floor and a mezzanine floor above it. So the front half of the showroom (entry) has 20 feet height and the back half having discussion rooms, conference rooms and accessories counters is 10ft height with a mezzanine floor of another 10ft on the top. The mezzanine floor has 3 side wall and 1 side glass.

What is the most energy efficient way of cooling the space?

The mezzanine floor has independent splits.

The idea we have for the remaining portion is to have duct running on the ceiling of the ground floor and throw air towards the front entrace. So the concern we have is that the air in front of the mezanine floor in the front portion may not be cooled and may affect the overall cooling of the space (ground floor and front portion of the mezanine floor.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by knvuday View Post
    ...The idea we have for the remaining portion is to have duct running on the ceiling of the ground floor and throw air towards the front entrace. So the concern we have is that the air in front of the mezanine floor in the front portion may not be cooled and may affect the overall cooling of the space (ground floor and front portion of the mezanine floor.

Any suggestions?
    To let the air in the showroom stratify or to cool it is your designer's choice. If you don't choose to cool it, it will affect the glass wall of the mezanine and the hot ceiling will put a radiant load on the showroom space below. My suggestion: cool it.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Mechanical Engineer (HVAC)

I think a dedicated DX-Roof to package / Split unit with an Overhead Air disribution system having side wall round diffusers (Pointing towards fenestration area to prevent infitration and moisture at facade glass) outets at high level and Return inlets from meznine level (1m above the supply point at ground level) is an ideal HVAC System. this system is suitable for double height area where display is of prime concern such as, Showroom, Exhibition areas, Museum and Galleria's. This system is modified version of Conventional Overhead system and Displacement system. The utmost care should be taken into consderation during the design is to have a relief exhust at high point inorder to ensure stratificatio is not occurred just above the return point located at the one meter above the ground level supply point.

Killing factor in the HVAC design of showroom and museums is a temperature and humidity. Failing to maintained these thermal properties can cause condensation over the surface and shorten the life of displayed items.

Care should be taken to size the coil of temperature as dictated by the Apparatus dew point temperature of air. Normally, ASHRAE Fundamental Recommends an indoor conditions of (68-72)F , (40-55)%RH and Room ACPH (8-12). This range ask for the constant volume system (Possible with reheat) if any set point at thermostat is desriable to be maintained.

sorry for the spelling mistakes in my post

heat or cooling dominate area?

Is the first question. In general the large glass areas are always a concern in either situation. Also in general, don't have the mez "open" to the space..
    Put up a glass wall to separate. Need to "capture that higher temp air and use it in the winter or you'll be paying twice with higher heat loss in winter and producing more heat than you need.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Make sure you window wash the glass wall with air.

Double pain I hope or come dew point every day/night you will have moisture all over that pretty glass wall. A return vent in the mezz never hurts.

AH Man who drug up this old thread........Shat!
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!