Copeland Compressor size

I am trying to figure out what size copeland scroll compressor i have is?

Model # YHB2-0301-PFV it was in a 30 plus year old Rudd Heat Pump.

Thanks
    ARW

Thats an oldy...its ruffly 38K BTU......its not a scroll by the way.
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

So you are saying that it is a 3 ton compressor then? Because 3.5 ton would be larger. The compressor said Copeland scroll on top of it.

The model of the unit will tell you what size it is, it all comes down to what RUUD designed the unit to do....could be a 3 ton.....Not sure why it says scroll on it...I know its not, unless Copeland got it wrong in there own manual.

That is just it the model number is gone off the unit. That is why I was going by compressor model number. I would believe that it would it would be 3 ton or 3.5 judging by the btu of 38000btu. That would come up short for 3.5 ton on btus. I wish that the Model number was avaiable that would but this to rest but I don't have that model number just the compressor model. Again I know the unit is 30 plus years old Rudd heat pump system. So back 30 years ago how do you believe it would have been rated? Thanks for all the help!

It's not uncommon to use a 38,000btu comp for a 3.5 ton condenser, especially back 30 years ago. Maybe the compressor had been c/o over the years?
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Ok that makes since. I am looking at replacing this unit with a 3 ton 36,800 btu unit matched heat pump system. The load came out to be 37,650 which is dead on the 38,000 btu compressor. What I don't want to see happen is oversize to a 42,000 btu for the load or 3.5 ton when a 3 ton system can be installed with pretty close to the actual load but would it be better to have the 36,800, ahri number 4657248. What do you guys think?

Thumbs up

Ok, I found the actual performance chart for this beast....looks like at design, 45F SST and 120F Cond it works out to 41,900 BTU, so I would say its a 3.5T unit. I dont know Trane units all to well, but I think if you find the right contractor to do the work, you cant go wrong, and with a proper manual J in hand you cant go wrong.

Hey thanks for the info. So 41,900 btu then it is a 3.5 ton unit. The load was ran again today this time included a garage area that needs to be heated and cooled the load came out to be 40,237 btus. So they are going to go with a 3.5 ton heat pump system. The house is 2415 with garage area. I am impressed that for a 30 plus year old system that it was sized right that far back sounds like someone knew what they were doing like all good hvac contractors that run proper manual j loads this day in time.

Quote Originally Posted by adamwhatley View Post
    Hey thanks for the info. So 41,900 btu then it is a 3.5 ton unit. The load was ran again today this time included a garage area that needs to be heated and cooled the load came out to be 40,237 btus. So they are going to go with a 3.5 ton heat pump system. The house is 2415 with garage area. I am impressed that for a 30 plus year old system that it was sized right that far back sounds like someone knew what they were doing like all good hvac contractors that run proper manual j loads this day in time.
    What do you use the garage for?