Should HVAC line that run in attic be insulated? Also, convert from heat pump to gas?

Hello,

New to my home (just north of Dayton Ohio) and I have never had a house on a slab. I am weak on terminology and I tried to Google for answers, but ran into lots of fluff as my search terms were not specific enough.

Slab house. Trane heat pump (10yrs old). Lines from the outside unit run up the garage wall (inside the wall), into the attic and then down to the indoor unit.

The one line has the standard foam insulation, the other is bare. Home inspector made no mention it was an issue. Wife thinks it should have insulation galore on it, especially for the summer months.

I would like to know a few things.

1. Should they have more insulation on them?
    2. Why should they or shouldn't they have more insulation on them?
    3. What is the proper terms: Outside unit (pump?) inside unit (condenser?) and the lines (the lines?,lol)

One last question pops to mind...Local gas utility says that I am close enough to get the line ran to my house for free. I realize that nobody can specifically answer, but in general, given my local, is it worth to pay for the install of a new heating system to move from heat pump to gas heat?

Thank you for you time and knowledge!

Outdoor unit= heat pump
    Indoor unit=air handler
    Lines=line set

Primary reason for insulation on the large line, is to prevent it from sweating, and ruining anything that the condensation could drip on.

Sm all line doesn't require insulation since it won't sweat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Look at your utility rates and it might be a good choice to go with a dual fuel

gas is warmer heat and if utility co will run line for free
    thats how I'd go.
    question would be how much to install gas lines in your home for
    install.

best of luck!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

You need to find the KW cost of your electricity with your HP system and then the cost per therm for the natural gas. Repost it on here and someone will give you some idea as to your actual cost per million BTU's into your home. Then you can base a decision on how much you could save, if any. You need the actual cost of both energy cost to compare. In my experience, you'll just be chasing money with money in most instances. But have had a few people who have changed become happy with their decision. Another factor is the minimum charge for the electric and or gas meter. Sometimes just leaving it connected eats 1/2 of the savings each year. If you are on an Electric company who discounts heat pumps, then lots of times it's hard to beat the actual cost of your BTU's. You're going to keep your electricity on year around anyway, so basic cost of the meter is meaningless. But if you go to nat. gas and only use it for heating, then the annual cost of meter must be figured into the equation. And we've had some folks go total electric rather than pay year around cost for gas meter. Numerous factors in your decision.