Thread: heat pump help

heat pump help

Hi, around 5 yrs ago I had a 13 seer Goodman? heat pump installed by a company which ended up going bankrupt. Consequently 4yrs in I had to call another company in when I was experiencing a compressor issue. They told me the start winding on the compressor was bad and the compressor would need replaced. The compressor was registered and parts still under warranty so compressor was replaced. Fast forward to last week. I was having problems with no heat coming out. Called same company which replaced compressor. They came out and said the outdoor expansion valve was bad. I had done a little reading on heat pumps, enough to know what a filter drier looked like, and noticed how the unit which had the compressor replaced looked like it had the original drier on it. I called the owner of the company and brought this to his attention. He said he would come out and verify whether or not it had been replaced with compressor change. Turns out it was never changed. He also went on to say that the tech who did the compressor change had been fired for other issues on other jobs....great. When the owner of the company did come out to check the drier I was not there; he said he would only need to compare some numbers from the outside unit. Well this is a rental house I own and instead of calling to let me know what he found, he took the liberty to pull old drier and test for acid and refill system with the refrigerant. He then emailed me to tell me system was o.k. for acid test but there was the bad expansion valve which needed replaced which would cost me $. My first thought was they already knew the expansion valve was bad. My second thought was why, other than to cover their own backside if they found acid, would they replace drier without telling me first and seeing if I would like to do the expansion valve along with it. My questions are could not replacing the filter drier have caused something to get into the expansion valve? And secondly what else might go wrong down road without the changing of that filter drier after installation. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-05-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: price

Its common practice to change filters during a compressor change, the old filter would still be filtering, question is, is the expansion valve beiing protected by it?, or is it not
    Total Energy Management, inc

If they pulled the dryer, changed the freon, and checked unit for acid at no cost to you then sounds like the company did the right thing. The expansion valve failing is usually due to loss of metering charge inside the valve and not a result of the earlier compressor change out. There have been a LOT of failed expansion valves in last couple of years due to poor quality valves regardless of brand. Also a LOT of expansion valve manufacturing has now gone outside the USA. I'm assuming from your post the company was only charging you for the problems with exp. valve and they covered the dryer/freon replacement? If so, then sounds about right to me. I do agree that it would make more sense to take care of both at the same time, but sounds like that didn't get done. Way too many times the customer makes a "I'm not paying for anything" statement so the contractor just fixes what he feels is fair and then leaves the unrelated problem for the homeowner to take care of on their own. You mentioned this was a rental property? Is it on an annual "Prepaid" maintenance plan with this contractor?

heat pump

Thanks, for the input wahoo and isuredo. yes they did not charge to come back out and install the drier which was great and the right thing to do. I've never made any statements to the like of i'm not paying for anything....which I assume is frequent responses. Do you think if there had been acid/moisture in system that a year would be enough time to do any other damage? I realize they stated there was no acid found. But what if?
    Thanks

Hard to play the "What if" game to benefit anyone.