Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grey flex and triangle duct boxes

Here's something we see a lot of in attics. It's the duct system starter set that some outfit did many of in the late 80's. That grey plastic deteriorates in hot attics, exposing the inner lining. Calls are usually due to water leaking through the ceiling or staining due to sweat on exposed liner. I think the triangle boxes were available through hardware stores at the time. Last one was a homeowner's attempt to solve with duct tape.

Always a good opportunity to install a proper duct system to solve the problem.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Some of those systems in Oklahoma too.

Is metal ever done anymore in the south or is it all flex?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Unless spec'ed out, or commercial, flex (and duct board) reigns supreme 'round here in these parts.

Looks like OWL flex, sold in the early eighties here. The jacket fell apart within a couple of years and the rest is history.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

I've torn out a ton of that crap.

There's a Carrier dealer here that uses the triangle boxes.

He had some name for them, can't recall, sounded impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    It's about all metal & some flex here, not much ductboard. 20 years ago we had a bunch of flex, ductboard kings.

Lots of that stuff here, I thought it started here. I understand this as UV light from the sun that causes the fish filet. If there is enough light from the sun to see (in the attic) that is enough UV to tear this plastic up. The black holds up better and silver the best. I never installed DB triangle boxes, only metal tys. We prefer pant type for Jack and Jil bed rms when take offs are the same size such as 9-7-7.

Ive seen residential systems where they would have sections of round pipe with the takeoffs installed and then would have flex connecting the pipes....

sorta like ...furnace...transition...piece of pipe with takeoffs...then a piece of flex...piece of pipe with takeoffs....then piece of flex....then piece of pipe with an endcap and takeoffs.

I always thought that was silly.....why not just use all pipe..... all those flex connections between the "trunkline pipes" to me would seem like potential leaks.

Ive seen that owl system here too.....

One day they will probably come up with a system where you just stick the air handler in the living room and point it toward the rest of the house....... a ductless system......lol

By the way... Ive seen that in homes too..... no sh*t......lol

I found the fix!

I found how they keep the pie sections from sweating all over the attic.
    They put a "Pie Pan" under them.
    But, I was wondering what happens if they fill up with water since they had no drain connection to the pans.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    mcair

For what it may be worth, that grey plastic sleeve is the same plastic material used to shrink wrap boats for the winter. You spread the material over the boat and shrink it with a propane heat gun. When you leave it out in the sun for more than a year, it will shrink so tightly, that it will split from the sun and heat and blow off in the wind.

When that flex-duct first came out, years ago, they used a sleeve of the same material. It could be easily slid over the pipe and insulation and the sleeve was loose. Then, they ran it through a heat wall and shrank it slightly so it fit properly.

The problem came in hot attics where the sleeve split and fell off. And there is is, completely uninsulated in an attic. Where I work,I see every kind of that stuff. I thought it was the only way to do residential HVAC now.

They changed the type of plastic sleeve used now that doesn't shrink and split.

I seen plenty of that crap in Texas although it had better airflow than some of the metal systems I see in these parts of the country

Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    Unless spec'ed out, or commercial, flex (and duct board) reigns supreme 'round here in these parts.
    I do resi only here. I do round pipe trunk line with dampers on all take offs and round pipe to about 3 feet to boot than do flex there..
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast