Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie69 View Post
    I have to say this site has some unusual rules. I'm a member of a few 4x4 truck forums where everybody helps everybody, from Master mechanics to vendors to dealer parts managers to back yard mechanics. A very open and free flow of information no matter the topic; brakes, fuel systems, electrical, suspension, steering, ----, and no one is worried about lawsuits or competition.
    Yet the people who run this site are.
    Which is why no technical information is distributed in the open areas of this forum.

You've got 3 options:
    A. Replace it.

B. Throw some parts on it, make it last a little bit till you get some cash. Only down side is, you've basically used that cash to "buy time".

C. Don't do anything untill you get the cash.

Beyond that, can't really help you.

What I will say, is having a guy come by that does HVAC "on the side" is diffenetly not the way to go with things.

ESPECIALLY with a new install, if you choose to go that route.
    Nothing against handymen. They have their purpose. I just wouldn't call a plumber to fix my furnace, or a furnace guy to replace my toilet.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

hvacvegas: the owners of this web site can of course write the rules, but then what is the advantage of having a Residential forum?? All anyone can say apparently is to tell the homeowner to go out and hire a tech or replace the unit. That is pretty much worthless, so again I ask, why even have a forum for homeowners, really???

If the main purpose of this site is so that techs can share information among themselves then that is great for techs, but is absolutely zero help to a homeowner.

Reason I had the part time HVAC tech come look at it was because he was the only person I could find who would even attempt to fix it; all the others, sight unseen, told me over the phone to replace the unit, which I cannot do.

But then the local HVAC companies have told me to replace the unit for 20 years everytime they came out (about 6 times), but over that time I have only spent maybe $700 on it, total, if you don't count the $100 I was ripped off for when one tech about 20 years ago told me he had added a few pounds of coolant only come to find out years later that the unit never had Schrader valves on it, and still doesn't!!!

I was hoping someone knew at least where I could find the replacement parts or what could be retrofitted, not for me to buy or install, but so I could tell the tech; he hasn't found anything last time I talked to him.

hvacvegas: the owners of this web site can of course write the rules, but then what is the advantage of having a Residential forum?? All anyone can say apparently is to tell the homeowner to go out and hire a tech or replace the unit. That is pretty much worthless, so again I ask, why even have a forum for homeowners, really???

If the main purpose of this site is so that techs can share information among themselves then that is great for techs, but is absolutely zero help to a homeowner.

Reason I had the part time HVAC tech come look at it was because he was the only person I could find who would even attempt to fix it; all the others, sight unseen, told me over the phone to replace the unit, which I cannot do.

But then the local HVAC companies have told me to replace the unit for 20 years everytime they came out (about 6 times), but over that time I have only spent maybe $700 on it, total, if you don't count the $100 I was ripped off for when one tech about 20 years ago told me he had added a few pounds of coolant only come to find out years later that the unit never had Schrader valves on it, and still doesn't!!!

I was hoping someone knew at least where I could find the replacement parts or what could be retrofitted, not for me to buy or install, but so I could tell the tech; he hasn't found anything last time I talked to him.
    You may have only spent $700 in repairs over 20 years, but probably spent 3X what you would have on electricity if you replaced the darn thing... It would have paid for itself twice now in utility costs...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Nope, this small 1300 sq ft ranch is very well insulated, was built with 2x6 studs and tons of insulation by a contractor for his daughter, she moved then I bought it. Then I added better insulated windows all around. I've had summer electricity bills as low as $40.

If I had listened to the HVAC techs in the past I would have replaced this well made unit three times by now at a cost of $$$&& a pop.

Now that I'm mended from two IED's and an ambush in 2010 (really) and looking for work I will replace it when I can afford it.

But if anyone has any actual technical advice to send my way, please do.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Bobbie69,

A reminder that pricing is not permitted here

This really is the oddest forum I've ever been on. Can't advise people how to fix stuff (so what's the point), can't mention the parts needed to make a repair (so what's the point), can't even make a reference to a complete guess at the cost of a replacement unit that never happened 20 years ago. HUH??? Weird weird weird and worthless forum.

i have the parts in stock & if your mechanic has the proper credentials i will
    sell to him but not directly to the end user.

Marvin; thanks for the offer but how do I put you two together? I highly doubt my tech knows about this forum and he doesn't sound like he's very tied into the internet.

This forum apparently doesn't have the ability to send pm's (private messages), or at least I don't. And you can't tell me what you have or the price so I don't know if he can get the parts quicker locally (TN). This forum has so many crazy rules it makes it about impossible to discuss anything, again, at least to/from a homeowner.

give him my e mail & have him send me his ph. # & ill take it from there
    personally i think you are wasting your money on a unit that old
    but ill be happy to get rid of a few parts.

Bobbie69,

You can find email addresses in the profile. Just click on the name of the poster and select "public profile". Using the user CP, you can add your own email address. That way people can contact you. You can also add location info so people can make better answers for your climate.

The site owners make the rules. Please read them. Surely you had rules in the military? We all have to follow the rules here.

I understand your predicament. email me and I can send heat pump instruction sheets. But I will not help fix it.

Good Luck.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

marvin,thanks, I appreciate it. However, telling me it's a waste of money to fix what I got is like telling a starving person that the soup they're eating at the Salvation Army kitchen is not very nutritious. Broke.

Kevin: appreciate the offer also. Yes, the military has rules but they usually make sense. These rules make sense only in that they restrict the flow of information to homeowners which forces them to call a Tech who's on the list, then pay him for his services. So this forum is not set up like your usual web forum where information is exchanged freely, it's a marketing device to feed business to the tech members of the forum. I now understand that.

Call your local Neighborhood Assistance program. they have grants for home owners that can't afford a new unit on their own.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ok.

Do what Beenthere suggests.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234