Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

what part do I need to replace an E-15 defrost timer?

Bringing this back to see if anyone out there can help me.

if memory serves me right that old amana did not use an
    e 15 as oem. it used a paragon timer & a 30/60 control
    but was an easy conversion to the e15.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    if memory serves me right that old amana did not use an
    e 15 as oem. it used a paragon timer & a 30/60 control
    but was an easy conversion to the e15.
    marvin, I really don't know what the part is, but it looks like a square box about 2x2x2 inches with if I recall correctly three wires connected to the top via spade connectors. Then there is a solid copper wire or ?thin metal tube that runs to a bulb that is stuck to the lower edge of the condensor coil covered in a thick green putty.

Does this sound like the paragon timer?

either way, there is no room to put anything much larger in that location, definitely not a control board. However to the right of that panel there is another side panel that just has a bunch of wires running through it; I think a board could be mounted in that location.

Could you tell me what I should use as a defrost timer? My local guys aren't really that good and they always just want to sell me a new unit, sight unseen. I do not have the cash or credit for a new unit, have to fix this one as cheaply as possible.

Thanks

where are you located

Marvin; I'm not in Nevada, Tennessee. The local companies have been trying to sell me a new unit for 25 years, almost every time they come out to service it, which has only been about 6-7 times. One company even charged me for a few pounds of Freon, then a couple of years later another company comes out for something else, I asked them to check the Freon level, they say, and show me, that there are no Schrader valves, never were any, sealed at the factory, but that other company still charged me for Freon they could not have put in. That's what I'm dealing with, a lot of shady practices in my neck of the woods. There used to be an old timer who was an honest Christian and he did excellent work, only what was needed, and never ever overcharged; unfortunately for me he retired.

Over those years this 30 year old Amana package unit has only needed two mechanical contacts replaced, one of those small oval shiny metal cans (forget the name), the main circuit breaker for the unit, and the blower motor which I replaced because no one wanted to do the job, they all just wanted to sell me a new unit. That's it for 25 years.

It still cools very well and only freezes up when it goes into heat mode. If I clear the ice off using a garden hose then turn the unit back on it heats fine, until it freezes back up again. Seems only to happen if the outside temp is like below maybe ??50.

I did talk to one tech just now, he said he could replace the old mechanical timer and a few other components with a control board. He didn't however seem to know the type of timer I had with a bulb, but he did say sometimes you could just replace the bulb or sensor??

I think the main thing I need to find is someone who knows these old units, this thing doesn't have any sort of circuit boards or digital electronics, all mechanical looking components, maybe that's why it has lasted so long?? IDK.

Any suggestions on how to replace the defrost timer and what with would be appreciated. I will not of course be doing the work, just need to know so that I better know if the tech is doing the right thing.

Thanks

Don not make other threads about this topic. Or other threads pointing to this thread. They will be deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Don not make other threads about this topic. Or other threads pointing to this thread. They will be deleted.
    I see you have 56,000 posts, are you an HVAC expert? Can you answer my questions about this 30 year old Amana package unit??

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie69 View Post
    I see you have 56,000 posts, are you an HVAC expert? Can you answer my questions about this 30 year old Amana package unit??
    I have chosen not to answer your question.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie69 View Post
    Beenthere invented that Amana heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I have chosen not to answer your question.

Either way, maybe there is someone out there that knows something about this old Amana heat pump package unit and knows how to fix it so it doesn't freeze up in heat mode.

Quote Originally Posted by mlstark View Post
    Beenthere invented that Amana heat pump.

LOL... I was in the trade before that one came out.
    Contractor locator map

Guys, how about some technical advice??

bobbie69,

You aren't going to get the advice that you seek here.

You have 2 choices. Go it alone or call a pro.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast