Thread: Copper Size

Post Likes

Cool

I'm about to replace my old 2ton with a heat pump system, like a bryant 698bnx,however my copper size is 1/4 and 5/8.
    will my existing copper be compatible with the new system or will it be undersized? if undersized what % degradation to the SEER rating will be applied?
    thanks,Bill

Post Likes

size?????/

Not able to tell you what size you need, for 2 reasons: 1)would be in violation of site rules, 2)I'm not there for the install. However, can tell you this, what you now have is a hack install.

Your installing contractor will (or should) size you correctly.

Post Likes
    Not necessarly a hack job. Some older Rheem units used that size lines .
    WWG1 WGA

Post Likes

Cooper size

Looking at cost and ease of copper replacement.Trying to do some discission making based on % degradation vs additional cost and running a chase down the side of the old house(don't like the esthetics of the chase).Believe the unit I referenced is 3/8 and 5/8 copper.
    Everything in life is a trade off and I'm looking at my options.
    Thanks,Bill

Post Likes
    Not just a loss of efficiency and capacity, but a loss of warranty after you start losing compressors due to the wrong lineset size.
    Do it correct from the beginning and have ease of mind...

Post Likes
    For sure it should be replaced. DO NOT use the old line set.
    WWG1 WGA

Post Likes
    Good choice for going with a het pump!!!

Post Likes
    Rheem/Ruud of years past did indeed use 1/4" liquid line even on some larger units. I never liked it myself.

Change the line set.
    1-it's the wrong size
    2-why put a nice new system on old dirty copper. Penny wise-pound foolish. If you go with an R-410 system the oil in the old lines will be incompatable with the new system anyway.

Post Likes
    The 698 series is R-410a and it is quite a gamble to reuse an old lineset without being able to properly flush out any residual oils or other contaminates. A little thing similar to parrafin could develop when the different oils mix. This could lead to blockages- you don't want your new system constipated, right? This is not a cheap, low end unit you're planning to use so don't cut important corners. And, I would say the lineset is incorrectly sized for a 698 or any current Bryant of that tonnage. We will all know more when more of the new model lineups start to appear.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Post Likes
    Definitely recommend new copper,properly sized,that way you have a new system. Do you have any downspouts/gutters on the house?You can also run the lineset in a gutter chase the same color as the house near a corner, should look fine.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by home owner-70
    I'm about to replace my old 2ton with a heat pump system, like a bryant 698bnx,however my copper size is 1/4 and 5/8.
    will my existing copper be compatible with the new system or will it be undersized? if undersized what % degradation to the SEER rating will be applied?
    thanks,Bill
    Your liquid is the most important line 1/4 is kind of small could cost you a compressor!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tony82164
    Originally posted by home owner-70
    thanks,Bill
    Your liquid is the most important line 1/4 is kind of small could cost you a compressor!
    I believe you mean the suction line.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Thinking back, I can remember the old Fedders had 5/8 & 1/4 " lines . Seems like they ran a 300-350 head pressure when it was running correctly.
    WWG1 WGA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in