Drywall around fireplace

Hello,

We are currently doing a project that modernizes the fireplace. The original fireplace has a typical look with mantle just above the opening, bricks below and in the hearth.

The mantle was removed and the entire wall smoothed with Type X drywall. The opening of the fireplace is made smaller with a "retaining wall" made of Type X drywall as well. The inside of the fireplace will be filled with concrete, which will raise the floor of the fireplace to the height of the "retaining wall". We will pour fireglass in there to complete the look.

My question is whether Type X drywall at those places are up to code? Thanks for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

are you putting in a insert? or are you going to use this as a open fireplace to burn wood in?

No insert, this will be an open fireplace to use gas pipe...

I actually found the answer to my question from my city's building division... Even type x drywall is not good enough, no combustible material within 12 inches of opening or on the hearth... so those have to be replaced. I can use Durac with plaster to achieve the same look.

Inside the fireplace, will need to be raise by firebricks.

Good glad you found out, i was gonna say drywall-x isn't meant for direct fire, it will still break down if you use it as a fire block. It's meant to slow down a fire not stop it forever like masonry does

Cool

type x is combustible. Cannot be in contact of surface of FP-see clearances to combustibles whether interior or ext. chimney. Facing must be sealed to firebox. Can use Durock brand CBB as it meets ASTM E-136 for non-combustible test. You really should have a pro do this as there are MANY other things to consider such as a Level II inspection of the chimney. Vented gas appliance will require damper removed or blocked wide open and a screen of some sort.

See your code but hire a pro so you don't look like a roasted marshmallow please.