I just had the Bryant Evolution system (3 ton heat pump) installed with a humidifier. I love the new system itself, but the amount of noise that humidifier puts out (mainly the fan and water line) is 3 to 4 times louder than the air handler itself. Is there anything that I can do to quiet this thing down. I can hear it when I am upstairs in my kitchen (live in a split foyer).

i would call back the contractor that just installed the system.its his responsibility to make sure everything is working properly upon completion of the job.

I have and he said it is working fine, that it is just noisey. I was just wondering if there was some sort of way to control the noise with insulation of some sort. Also, should it be hooked to the cold or hot water line?

what brand and model number humidifier? yes hooking it to the cold water line is correct.

I am not sure. This is only the second day with the new system. I really wanted a humidifier because it was really bad with our old heat pump. Not sure if describing it helps figure out the model number. It looks like a half circle with the fan on the back of it and the filter slides out of the side. The water comes in throught the top and out of the bottom.

if the humidifier fan is that loud then chances are it is not working properly.most good humidifiers such as aprilaire 700 and others have the name and model number on them.have the hvac contractor come out and check it.

On heatpumps it is common to hook the supply to the hot water. It helps evaporate the water off the pad.

power humid?

I haven't installed an Evolution system in over a year, but I remember reading something in the instructions about a bypass style humidifier is what is recommended by the manufacturer, not a power humidifier. I could be wrong, but I do believe thats what the manual recommended.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley