Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So then...

tell me what the COP or duct (vent temp) of an R-22 system is over an R410a system.

Lets set some parameters:

outdoor ambient of 20 degrees and an inside temp of 70 degrees running HEAT PUMP ONLY no AUX heat involved.

Hope this is enough info to extrapolate a hypothesis (always wanted to use big words like that in a sentence!)

Having the same debate going on in my head right now as to what to put into my own house.

Citywide.

"I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

I'd recommend R-22.

The first reason is the pressures issue. I am well aware of the 410a website link, yet they didn't tell the whole story. Yes, the compressor may be better, but is the evaporator coil better? No, it's the same one. Is the lineset better? No, it's the same one. Does the installer use a different brazing rod? No, same one. The higher pressures will stress the system more than what you would find in the R-22 system. Over time the added stress from the higher pressures will wear on the system more.

Yes, 410a systems usually have less compressor failures. As the saying goes, "compressors don't die, they are killed". The training required to be able to handle 410a results in better installations which decreases the chance of compressor failure. Thus it appears that the minimal compressor failure rate isn't due so much because of the refrigerant as from the better installations.

R-22 depletes the ozone? There is no evidence that R-22 depletes the ozone! Read the claims closely on the 410a website and you will notice that it is only a theory held by a few scientists. Just ask around if the ozone is more or less damaged than 10 years ago and the answer will be "more"... yet the alleged biggest "ozone eater" (R-12) has been almost completely removed from production for the last 10 years. If the refrigerants were the major cause then the ozone wouldn't be worse off unless they are going to try to claim that the ozone doesn't replenish itself. But now weren't they looking at giving us another tax for ozone-producing items?

Yes, I am 410a certified. Yes, I can and will do both systems. And after looking at it from different angles I still have the opinion that R-22 is a better choice.

(now climbing off of the soap box...)

Originally posted by bobbart
    I'm looking to purchase a brand new Heat pump, Blowers, coils...the whole package. I talk to two sales reps, the two them said...it's best to use R22 for the new system. What should I do? 410A or R22 ?
    Thanks
    Bobbart
    R410A is new and R-22 has been around for a long time it is used in chillers,blast freezers,ice machines,ETC..R410A is very expencive.I am installing a new system 13 seer heat pump R-22.

410a v 22

you will not get r22 in canada in 15 years so if unit works well but has a leak you will have to scrap the thing

Originally posted by Toolpusher
    Why buy yesterdays unit for tomorrow,
    When you can buy tomorrows unit today ?
    This is Turtle

i thought the same thing , you should buy into the future with a new R-500 hvac system and be there before the other get there. I have 60 pounds left over and no where to use it.

TURTLE

What about the drop in replacement NU-22, I've read some articles that sound promising. I have used RB276 for r12 and had very good results, my pick up truck is cooled with this. I also heard a manufacture of a/c equipment is doing some testing with nu22. Has anybody heard the pros and cons of nu22? The articles I read said there were no decrease in capacity, this was from a guy who converted some of his equipment to see what would happen.

Re: 410a v 22

Originally posted by i,p,freely
    you will not get r22 in canada in 15 years so if unit works well but has a leak you will have to scrap the thing
    Using a drop-in replacement would be a better idea.

There may be alot of r22 around in 2012, there may be alot of nu 22 around in 2012, but will you be able to buy a compressor for it. Will you have to wait 3 monthes for them to make it and ship it to you. How much will that special order compressor cost if the condenser doesn't have a 10 year warranty on it.

Even if it has a 10 year warranty, it may not be available for weeks.

Consider that before you decide to stay with r22.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    There may be alot of r22 around in 2012, there may be alot of nu 22 around in 2012, but will you be able to buy a compressor for it. Will you have to wait 3 monthes for them to make it and ship it to you. How much will that special order compressor cost if the condenser doesn't have a 10 year warranty on it.

Even if it has a 10 year warranty, it may not be available for weeks.

Consider that before you decide to stay with r22.
    man,ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12