Student wanting advice on studying and working in the field.

I am currently working limited hours and have the opportunity to study many hours a day. This would allow me to get certified sooner. I am also considering working in the field before getting certified, but this would take longer. I would like advice from those that have been in the same situation.

I have only been in the field for 1 1/2 years. I would suggest trying to find a local college that offers an assiocates degree for HVAC, or you could take classes through rses. I went to a community college and got a two year degree in HVAC as a start. I learned alot of theroy and learned some very valuable skills. When i went job hunting not only did this look good on paper to my future employer, it also showed them that i was willing to invest my own time into the trade. They will not want to hire someone who doesn't have the initiative, and will waste there time. In order for you to be a well rounded mechanic they will have to invest alot of time,money and training. I would also suggest to get epa 608 universal certified. You should be able to find a local supply house that offers the epa training/test.

...608 universal certified is a great way to start. Also learn sequence of operation, reading schematics, and know how to use your meter will help you work through a lot of problems. When you need help you are going to need to have information to provide to the helping party in order for them to be able to help you. We are not psychic.. WELCOME and Post Post Post get it to 15.
    Living the dream !!

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Forward View Post
    I am currently working limited hours and have the opportunity to study many hours a day. This would allow me to get certified sooner. I am also considering working in the field before getting certified, but this would take longer. I would like advice from those that have been in the same situation.
    If you have an opportunity now to start working in the field, I'd say go for it. This way you'll get a better feel for if you really want to do this. And if you show some drive in wanting to learn this trade maybe your employer will split or even pay for some schooling for you.

Thank you for the advice.

I'm looking for work in the field in Klamath Falls, OR. I've been studying like crazy. Waiting for test for 608 universal. Now working on NATE Core Heating because it is more relevant this time of year on the forums.

Here are some links www.hvactv.com www.training.carrier.com www.rses.org www.escoinst.com I would suggest learning commercial refrigeration if you are in K falls, hvac is seasonal and refrigeration goes year round. A lot of guys here in Portland got laid off (including me) when the economy slowed down, but I could get a job doing refrigeration right away. Also students can get a one year free subscription to Rses Journal magazine at http://www.rses.org/studentjournal.aspx Thanks to MechAcc for this info!
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Work in the field, if you can, it will make everything you learn mean that much more, because you experienced it.