Thread: who can design ducts for rehabbed house?

Post Likes

who can design ducts for rehabbed house?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would appreciate anyone's comments on my overall plan. I have a 1950s three level house with a rearaddition from 1964. Heating came from a gas forced air furnace in the basement. The ductwork was added-on to the addition and never worked properly. Now I am adding yet another addition., so this is a real hybrid house. I want to take down the existing ducts and install a bigger unit in the attic and install ducts that go down to the main floor rather than up from the basement. Where can I find a duct designer? Can one hire a separate hvac inspector to be sure it is done right before closein?

The basement I am making into a semi-separate, 3 room unit with its own heating. It does not need cooling, although it could use air flow to take out the humidity. What would you suggest for heating this 400 sq. ft. space with a 200 sq. ft. room on the side that was formerly the underground garage? I have gas and electric there, but was thinking of just a good quality baseboard unit. I am thinking of putting in a ventless fireplace in addition to regular heat both upstairs and in the basement, because they give off a lot of heat in case the system is overwhelmed on very cold nights.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rkthomas13 View Post
    I want to take down the existing ducts and install a bigger unit in the attic and install ducts that go down to the main floor rather than up from the basement.
    Are you thinking of one big unit? Three floors, ripping out lots of ductwork, why not consider having two systems, one low, one high? Then, you might be able to re-use some of your existing ductwork.

I'm wondering was the existing ductwork system extended to cover the addition? This almost never works right, even if a larger unit is put in.

-HF

Post Likes
    The existing system was expanded to include the first addition and it certainly never worked.
    I am indeed planning two systems, hopefully the larger one installed in the attic that would spider out and down to heat and cool the top floor and the main floor of the house and both additions. The basement would be a separate system.
    Design seems crucial here, so I need to find someone really experienced in this kind of thing. I know some guys that run an hvac school here, but I wonder whether theory is what I need or rather practical experience.

Post Likes
    "I know some guys that run an hvac school here, but I wonder whether theory is what I need or rather practical experience"

Seems to me you might want to talk to this school and see if you and the school can't work something out so you get what you need and the school will in effect be able to give the students some hands on training on sizing and installing duct work in a real home eviroment instead of just in a school setting !! It would seems to me that this would be worth your time to think about persueing and would be of interest to the school as well and both of you would benefit !!! You buy the materials thru the school and they do the rest.

Post Likes
    I don't know where you're located but,if you're in Texas,any state licensed contractor is licensed to design & install duct systems.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Simply call and "can you do a Manual J,S,and D for my existing home?".

Eventually you'll find one of the few that can and will.

Post Likes
    I may have to do just what you suggest for want of any other possibility, but I greatly fear just trusting somebody who says he can do it, however long they have been in the business. The stories I read about on this website of failure in adequately covering existing houses scare me. This house is a bit of a hodge-podge of rooms,an original small two story plus basement and two additions.
    I am going to ask for a comprehensive design first, and have it checked by an independent inspector, before anything is built. Does anyone here have any other suggestion? In other words, how do you verify that a design plan is likely to work, before all the money is consumed in buildout and it is too late? All suggestions are much appreciated.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    My gues is ,if you ask,most that can't will give you BS reasons why it isn't needed and those that can will gladlydescribe exactly what they will do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in